FORUMS: list search recent posts

6 core 3.33ghz vs. 12 core 2.4ghz

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
6 core 3.33ghz vs. 12 core 2.4ghz
on Nov 9, 2011 at 10:59:36 pm

If Apple doesn't step up and release a new Mac Pro in the next few months, I'm looking at getting an "interim" Mac Pro to replace my aging one whilst I figure out what to do with Premiere or Avid. Probably running FCP 7 for awhile, but do a bit of AE. The Mac Pro I'm using now is the original and a 2.0ghz to boot. So anything is a step up. Plus the newer Mac Pro could be a Premiere suite and the older a FCP suite, etc. I still see the 3.33ghz 6 core machines floating around and they seem like a nice mix of fast processing for apps like FCP that aren't going to use the multiple cores, and also still having 6 cores vs. 4 for compressor or AE. Since so many apps aren't' multicore aware, wouldn't it be beneficial to have a 3.33ghz for them instead of a 2.4? And at a $1500 costs savings too. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: 6 core 3.33ghz vs. 12 core 2.4ghz
on Nov 10, 2011 at 1:03:32 am

With FCP in mind, the 6 core. With a possible Avid/Premiere future in mind, the 12 core. With rumours of the end of the MacPro surfacing I would lean towards the 12 core. If the MacPro line does end you'll thank yourself for investing in the processors. If it doesn't you'll have slower FCP rendering, but still much faster than you had previously.
On my 12 core 2.66 with 12GB RAM the processor is the bottleneck in FCP, and the RAM is the bottleneck in everything else - Motion, AE, QMaster, Media Encoder, etc. Remember, Hyperthreading will double your logical core count, so 12 logical cores with the 6 core and 24 logical cores for the 12 core. That's probably the reason I misjudged when I thought I'd save a few bucks with 12gb of RAM.

Hope this post helps.

Return to posts index

Neal Broffman
Re: 6 core 3.33ghz vs. 12 core 2.4ghz
on Nov 10, 2011 at 1:52:35 am

I just went through exactly the same debate. Went with the 3.33 6 Core. It did not make any sense for me to buy today based on a hypothetical. Very happy with the choice.

Neal Broffman
One Production Place, Atlanta, GA
http://www.oneproductionplace.com
Latest project:
Series of profiles for the Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowships For New Americans.
http://vimeo.com/channels/pdsoros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]