FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropping Frames, Out of Memory

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin O. Garcia
Dropping Frames, Out of Memory
on Nov 9, 2011 at 6:36:35 pm

I'm having issues with a current project. When I play unrendered media (green bar) I begin to drop frames and the issue continues with media that does not need to be rendered. I also get the "out of memory" warning when I try to render. The strange thing is the the dropping of the frames is not consistent, and seems to get worst as the day goes on. I thought the Mercury Elite-AL Pro FW800 drive was the issue because it was formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The project is about 35MB's, with a lot of sequences, and large scanned 300dpi images and up to 4 video layers and 8 audio tracks. I made a smaller project with smaller images and 2 video layers. Still same issue.

I transferred the media from the FW 800 drive to my 4TB Sata drive and reformatted the FW800 to Mac OS Extended, but the same issue was present. I then played the project from my 4TB Sata drive the issue was present. My client has his own FW800 drive and his project plays back fine. I had him bring his drive to me and we swapped drives. I still had the same issue and his computer played back the project fine. I opened an old project on an older G-Raid FW800 drive and didn't have an issue. I placed a up to 5 video layers with filters to produce a green bar and still didn't have an issue?

Does anyone have an idea? I have 4GB of RAM. I use to have 8GB, but a stick went bad so I had to remove 4GB's. Can it be related to RAM? Perhaps a conflict with a filter? I do notice that drives connected via firewire 800 come up with a generic icon, even though the icon is not generic?

Best,
Martin

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: Dropping Frames, Out of Memory
on Nov 9, 2011 at 6:43:34 pm

It's a safe bet that the stills are your main problem. FCP likes 72dpi stills, under 2k in frame size, and .png role file type. Also, you need to split the project up and keep the project size smaller. 35mg isn't usually too large but when project files get too large, FCP starts having fits. Work in smaller projects and combine finished sequences if you need o keep it all together for the final.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]