FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multicam Edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Williams
Multicam Edit
on Nov 9, 2011 at 5:16:32 pm

Hi there

I'm just about to start work on a 14 camera multicam edit of a concert shot shot in HD. Each camera was recorded separately straight to hard disk as a ProRes 422 1080 Quicktime file 250 minutes long.

I'm going to offline it to ProRes Proxy for the multicam, so I put one of the files into Compressor to get an idea of how large files would end up being, and it works out approx 45 GB per file.

So before I start editing, would it make sense to break up these files into smaller segments to have less strain on the hard disks. Even though the ProRes Proxy is very economical, 14 simultaneous streams of video at 45 GB each is quite a lot, or will this not be an issue?

If this was the way to go, what would be the best way to go about it? i.e would it be a case of exporting individual Quicktime Movies from the timeline then re-importing and creating the multiclip?

I'm working on a Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Quad Core, with 12 GB RAM and an 8TB G-Tech external set to RAID 5.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Dan

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Multicam Edit
on Nov 9, 2011 at 6:03:47 pm

I would certainly break these files up. 45GB x 14 is still taxing to the system. You lose all the benefits of multicam if you can reliably play back all the streams at once.

I would break them into 20-30min pieces myself. You should be able to handle that. If not, you can always offline in Offline RT, but Proxy is much nicer to work in if you can.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Dan Williams
on Nov 10, 2011 at 10:24:57 am

Thanks Andy, I'll get on it.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 11, 2011 at 5:27:04 pm

I would have to disagree with you on this. The length of the clips is not the issue, only the total bandwidth of the 4 streams. It shouldn't matter if the clips are 2 minutes or 20 minutes long, the bottleneck is disk read speed for 4 streams at Proxy quality.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]