FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing NTSC DV (3:2) into a 1080/60 sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Hall
Editing NTSC DV (3:2) into a 1080/60 sequence
on Nov 8, 2011 at 5:45:17 pm

I would like to use NTSC DV(3:2) non-anamorphic clips in their native size and aspect ratio as multiple small images within a 16x9 1080 sequence. Is this doable? Or should I just scale the images down in a DV (16x9) sequence? Any advice is much appreciated.

Peter Hall

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Editing NTSC DV (3:2) into a 1080/60 sequence
on Nov 8, 2011 at 5:53:22 pm

Sure, why not? If you don't want them to automagically scale to fit the height of the sequence, turn that preference off in your user prefs. I think FCP should also automatically apply a shift fields filter. If your sequence isn't interlaced and the DV is you might need to address that.

Return to posts index

Peter Hall
on Nov 8, 2011 at 6:26:51 pm

Hi Bret, I am getting a bit lost as my canvas displays normal aspect DV image but the Desktop Cinema Preview screen shows the DV as stretched. My sequence settings are:

My objective is to end up with a movie that can play on a large screen with the DV footage as pic-in-pic's in their native sizes so their quality is not degraded by scaling to 1080.

Thank you for your input, much appreciated

Peter Hall

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 9, 2011 at 3:48:17 am

So in your canvas, you should see a 4:3 image, either with black bars on the right or left, if you took my suggestion and turned off the autoscaling, you'll see black around the entire 4:3 image and it should fill less than half the height of the screen.

Your Digital Cinema preview has 3 or 4 settings. Try different ones to make sure you're not stretching it there. Make sure FCP thinks your DV is 4:3 and not 16:9. Make sure the canvas window is set to "correct for aspect ratio." Since you're working in 1440x1080 instead of full square pixel 1920x1080 you're having to deal with non-square pixels and everything needs to line up right. And it all should by default. Should.

Return to posts index

Peter Hall
on Nov 9, 2011 at 9:11:25 am

Hi Bret, I'm not sure where to make certain adjustments to the settings you suggest. I don't see where to adjust the Digital Cinema preview other than in the MBP hardware/preferences where it is set to 1280x800.

I have changed the sequence and the Audio/Video settings to:

"So in your canvas, you should see a 4:3 image, either with black bars on the right or left, if you took my suggestion and turned off the autoscaling, you'll see black around the entire 4:3 image and it should fill less than half the height of the screen."

I dont see the black bars in the canvas. The DV image (100%) is about 1/6th of the canvas size. Where can I switch off the autoscaling? With the above settings, the image in the canvas and Digital Cinema preview is still stretched. (correct for aspect ratio is on)

This is my sequence setting:

If someone can help with setting this up so I can have non-stretched DV images in a HD timeline it would be greatly appreciated.

Peter Hall

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 9, 2011 at 4:12:26 pm

There's a lot of stuff to go into here. Why don't you post a shot of your Canvas AND the sequence settings so we know exactly what you're talking about. Digital Cinema Desktop Preview is really meaningless. It's adjusted at VIEW>Video Playback>Digital Cinema Desktop Preview - where there are 4 choices on my machine. 3 for my second monitor, and one for the main monitor. If you're using an iMac you're probably just stuck with one choice.

If you have a 16:9 HD sequence, and you want to do a grid of the DV clips, when you place them in the sequence FCP will either A -autoscale them to fit the sequence (under FILE>USER Preferences>Editing tab (bottom right)) or B - leave them at their native size, which is probably what you want. Depending on whether the DV clips are anamorphic 16:9 or 4:3, FCP will apply a distort to them to make them appear correct in whatever particular sequence size you have. Double click on the DV clip within the sequence to open it in the viewer and you'll see the motion tab. Under the motion tab is scale. If you left autoscaling on in user prefs, then it's probably 200+ percent. Otherwise probably 100%, but I forget if FCP refers to percentage of the sequence size or percentage of clip size. There is also a distort adjustment under the motion tab. This adjusts the perspective of the shot to match the sequence. FCP automatically sets this when you drag a clip to a sequence. A number of factors go into this - whether your source clip is square or non-square pixels, and whether it's anamorphic AND whether the sequence is square or anamorphic. The HDV sequence you originally had is a sort of anamorphic. When you changed the sequence setting to square pixels, the clips that had already been placed, will not change their distort setting.

In the Canvas window there is a pulldown menu that shows the percentage size of the canvas. At the bottom of that pulldown is "correct for aspect ratio." Ghosted out if you're using a square pixel sequence. If you're using a 1440x1080 HDV sequence, it should be checked to ensure that it doesn't look squised or stretched. So if that is correct, AND your DV clips look squished or stretched IN that window (forget the digital cinema preview) then you'll need to adjust the distort property mentioned earlier. Most likely FCP thought they were 16:9 and not 4:3. In your bin, there is a column called anamorphic that you either have a check or not. If there's a check there, FCP thinks it's anamorphic. Remove the check and drag the clip to the sequence and FCP will distort it properly, and you can then view the distort setting it applied and then apply that distort to any other clips already in the sequence that appear correct.

This stuff was a lot easier when all there was was SD anamorphic 16:9 or SD 4:3. Add upteen flavors of HD to the mix over the years and it's pretty convoluted. Send a screen shot of your canvas with the DV clip within it.

Return to posts index

Peter Hall
on Nov 10, 2011 at 1:36:16 pm

Hi Bret, thank you very much for the detailed response. Very useful. I think I have resolved my scaling issue by changing the sequence to 1920 from 1440 as per your suggestion. I also switched the auto scaling off. Below is the screenshot of the canvas, the highlighted clip is DV scaled to 150%, the others are normal size DV, reduced in size a little by the masks. Still not sure why the editing timebase says 25? (should be 29.97 for NTSC?)

Again, thank you for your time. Very much appreciated.

Peter Hall

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 11, 2011 at 4:57:43 pm

The autoscaling was just an idea so you could make your grid easier. Could of course just put them in there and then scale them down.

Since your mattes aren't round, and I can't really see the if the DV is being pillar boxed, I guess the screen shot didn't help much. But unless your mattes are supposed to be round and not oval, then it looks fine to me.

You are working in a PAL (time base 25) progressive sequence, with an interlaced 1080i codec. What happened there?

You can't change it. All you can do is copy and paste your sequence conents into a correct sequence, which should be most likely the Apple ProRes 422 1080i preset. You'll have to shift some things around, because your edits won't match when copying from a 25 to 30 fps seq. If an edit occurred at frame 23, FCP has to decide if that cut occurs on frame 27 or 28, etc. etc. Generally you'll be left with many small gaps or overlaps to fix.

Return to posts index

Peter Hall
on Nov 11, 2011 at 5:45:50 pm

Hi Bret, thanks again for your valuable advice. I realised that I could only change to the proper timebase by making a new sequence from preset that I had built in the Audio and Video settings. I have ditched the original sequence I sent you a shot of.

I have attached two new screen shots with the new settings. The image is DV at 100% in the motion tab. The first screengrab is with the pixels set to Square. The circle mask frame is generated in the viewer tab.

The second one is with pixels set to DV NTSC, which makes the DV frame even more square.
Which setting do you recomend to maintain the original DV aspect ratio and generally prevent problems down the road?

Thanks again, hoping to get this right eventually.

Peter Hall

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]