FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kernel Protection failure

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tore Jonssen
Kernel Protection failure
on Nov 8, 2011 at 2:18:58 pm

Getting these error messages all the time. Machine is 8 core Mac Pro with 12 GB RAM, latest patches and versions of everything. Material is XDCAM HD. Any ideas?

Process: Final Cut Pro [497]
Path: /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro
Identifier: com.apple.FinalCutPro
Version: 7.0.3 (7.0.3)
Build Info: FCPApp-1008261348~8
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [155]

Date/Time: 2011-11-08 15:08:23.889 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 4689743 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 27
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 2723720 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 13
Anonymous UUID: F40D274F-AC02-4B2E-A8D2-B62F37429CF5

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Regards,
Tore Jonssen

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Kernel Protection failure
on Nov 9, 2011 at 2:00:02 pm

Crashes like this are either related to software installs that need to be redone, or a hardware problem. (usually not a cheap fix, so let's hope a clean install would fix you up.)

Start by trashing preferences, if it remains unstable, then try a new user account. If that fails, you likely need to perform a clean install of all of the software including the OS. If that fails, you have a hardware problem. Could be RAM gone bad, but it's more likely an installation that needs re doing.

When is the last time you performed a clean install? Should be done any time you upgrade the OS or FCS.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Tore Jonssen
on Nov 9, 2011 at 2:09:07 pm

Thanks for answering, Jerry. The system was set up in July this year, clean install of everything in Snow Leopard. I don´t have anything else installed except FCP Suite, a couple of tools like mpeg streamclip, various SxS drivers and software and Adobe CS5. No additional Quicktime support software like Perian or similar.
The computer is one out of 4 running a substancial project shot in XDCAM HD 422 50mbps,
with approx. 8 TB of material on local discs.
My feeling is that it might be XDCAM codec which is the culprit here, as FCP tends to struggle on all machines with things like thumbnail views of clips, scrolling in the timeline etc.
Could that give you any more ideas?

Regards,
Tore Jonssen

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 9, 2011 at 2:39:01 pm

I personally don't like editing GOP structured media, because it's inefficient...

As a test, try transcoding a few clips to ProRes (422 should be just fine unless you have a lot of fast movement in the frame. Then choose 422HQ. Open a new project to import these files into. See if that clears it up.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Tore Jonssen
on Nov 9, 2011 at 2:43:42 pm

Thanks, I´ll do that and get back to the forum with an update.

Regards,
Tore Jonssen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]