FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble with Stereo to Dual Separate Mono Channels for Quicktime Playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Fawcett
Trouble with Stereo to Dual Separate Mono Channels for Quicktime Playback
on Nov 7, 2011 at 9:15:47 pm

Hi

I want to do the most basic thing. I have done a lot of searching and followed all the help I can find with no positive results.

I am preparing a dual-audio channel video work for an art installation. All I want is to have certain (stereo) tracks going purely to the left channel, and certain (stereo) tracks going purely to the right.

I have:

Panned everything appropriately within the clip settings, using ctl+, etc.
and
Assigned the tracks in the timeline to channels 1 and 2 appropriately
and
Even tried just turning off the tracks I don't need

I have tried exporting as discreet channels, channel grouped, and stereo down mix

I have exported as Quicktime, and also exported as Quicktime Conversion, selecting discreet tracks

I have tried stereo and dual mono in audio preferences, with down mix turned off, and set to 0

And resending stuff to Soundtrack and re-panning

NOTHING has worked - Final Cut ALWAY does some weird mix down to stereo, both within the program and when playing back files using Quicktime and VLC (sometimes with different results with each)

Anyone know what I am doing wrong? using FCP 7.0.3...

Heeeeeeelllllp!!!!

Jon

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Trouble with Stereo to Dual Separate Mono Channels for Quicktime Playback
on Nov 7, 2011 at 10:35:55 pm

You need to un "stereo pair" them to create two mono tracks, then pan them both to one side or the other. This should work... Have you tried just that?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Jon Fawcett
on Nov 7, 2011 at 10:49:51 pm

Hi Jerry thanks

I hear what you're saying - I will try it as I don't think I split them individually yet

BUT I have a feeling it will only give me partial success -

I have been experimenting and have hacked things up and now have a very simple timeline with just two separate audio tracks, dual mono, panned and supposedly assigned to separate tracks

AND

while I do get a distinct 'one is on left, one is on right' result, there is still SOME bleed from one track to the other, i.e. I hear each one faintly on the other track, like they are not fully panned. But they are.

That's weird no?

Jon

Return to posts index

Jon Fawcett
on Nov 7, 2011 at 11:01:30 pm

As I suspected - your tip did me well, but still get this bit of 'bleed' or semi-mixdown (whether stereo or dual mono is selected, and whether mix down is 0 or off, in 'Audio Outputs')

How annoying/nearly there/not there at all!

Any more ideas?

Return to posts index

Phillip Van West
on Nov 7, 2011 at 11:40:44 pm

Are you doing Audio Mixdowns (OPT-CMD-R) after each of these changes?

pvw

Phil Van West
Terra Nova Productions
Denver, CO
Video Production/Post-Production

Mac Pro 8-core 2.66GHz / 16GB RAM / OS 10.6.7 / FCP 7.0.2 / QT 7.6

Return to posts index

Jon Fawcett
on Nov 7, 2011 at 11:43:01 pm

I wasn't, but having done so it doesn't change anything...

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 8, 2011 at 12:43:54 am

well.... try mixing the two tracks down to one. export it as such.... then pan that single clip.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Jon Fawcett
on Nov 8, 2011 at 6:02:06 am

That's what I did already, if I get your meaning - I deleted one track from each of my existing stereo tracks, so I just have two mono tracks, panned left and right, _1 and 1, and I still get that 'bleed'. It's weird huh?

Return to posts index

Jon Fawcett
on Nov 8, 2011 at 9:50:46 am

SOLVED IT!!!

For anyone else's information:

I was working on this at home on the LAPTOP (Macbook Pro). My girlfriend was using my headphones for something she was working on.

***The audio card in the Macbook Pro overrides the settings of any audio file, and part-mixes left and right tracks - WHEN PLAYING THROUGH THE INTERNAL SPEAKERS of the laptop

stupid but true

I guess its a consumer sound quality issue, fair enough. I should have tried with headphones/monitors

Got there in the end, thanks everyone for your help

Jon

Return to posts index

Jon Fawcett
on Nov 8, 2011 at 10:00:31 am

Final summary:

1. Un-pair stereo tracks by alt+L
2. Pan them manually by selecting and ctl+, for left, ctrl+/ for right
3. For output to Quicktime, make sure your audio settings are 'Channel Grouped', and your Audio Output is set to Stereo (Quicktime will self-mix dual mono tracks back to stereo)

Voila

Return to posts index

Christopher Allen
on Mar 27, 2012 at 12:28:58 pm

Hi there.

Having this same issue. Did the steps you took resolve the issue on the Macbook laptop?

I am hoping to play back through FCP to dual stereo output through heaphone jack. Is this impossible?

Have a tech rehearsal tonight for this, so thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Christopher

Return to posts index

Jon Fawcett
on Mar 27, 2012 at 2:03:41 pm

Hi Chris

The final email I posted worked

It's been a while so I'm not super fresh on this - I think you are better off exporting and then playing back to avoid complications within FCP - def watch out of the mix down option (deselect it)

The main issue with the Macbook Pro was with the internal speakers vs the headphone socket (which worked) - so in theory (now I think about it) you should be fine within FCP

Do a test first..?!

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]