FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import from Flip Ultra HD to FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yachira Martinez
Import from Flip Ultra HD to FCP
on Nov 7, 2011 at 6:51:02 pm

I hope someone can help me. Would anyone know what is the proper and correct way of importing footage from a Flip Ultra HD to FCP for editing? I plugged the flip, clicked on import> files> selected Flipvideo> DCIM and then the files. In less than 2 seconds all files were viewable on FCP and before closing program I clicked on save.

When I opened FCP again, the files were not saved and the program was asking for the original media files, which unfortunately I deleted from the Flip.

Would anyone have an answer to my question?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Import from Flip Ultra HD to FCP
on Nov 7, 2011 at 7:14:50 pm

Number 1...FCP does not IMPORT the footage. It creates clips that point to the media where it is. If you import, then remove the device that has the media, it will go away. But that is just an FYI...you are doing everything wrong, out of the gate.

First thing to do...copy off the entire contents of the camera to an ARCHIVE drive. This will be the drive you put on a shelf, instead of a tape. This is your MASTER tape.

#2 - Use Compressor, or MPEG STREAMCLIP...to convert that footage into ProRes. FCP will NOT work with that footage natively. You must convert. And yes, the file sizes will increase. That's what you get for making the footage into a workable format. And this footage you need to store on a SEPARATE drive, that is your MEDIA drive.

Once you do that, NOW...#3...import the footage into FCP.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Yachira Martinez
on Nov 7, 2011 at 7:55:09 pm

I appreciate the quick response to my question. It will definitely help a lot. Would you happen to know if by chance the clips that FCP created would some how be in the computer, since we clicked on save before closing out?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 7, 2011 at 8:28:56 pm

The CLIPS are just data in the project, that points to the media. FCP doesn't copy any of the media from where you "import" it from. It leaves it there. You need to move the media yourself.

Shane

Return to posts index

Yachira Martinez
on Nov 11, 2011 at 4:44:06 pm

Just out of curiosity, would importing video files from a regular digital camera into FCP follow the same process as importing from a FLIP?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 11, 2011 at 6:06:29 pm

Define "regular digital camera." Do you mean like Canon Powershot...stuff like that?

Shane

Return to posts index

Yachira Martinez
on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:39:22 pm

Yea. Its a consumer digital camera that you take pictures with and also take videos.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]