Apple - R not working/Slow playback within FC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glen Mackintosh
Apple - R not working/Slow playback within FC
on Nov 7, 2011 at 3:18:05 pm

Dear all

I am after some advice...

I have twice loaded Final Cut Studio 2 (latest updates included) from scratch onto my Mac Pro (2x3.2 Ghz Quad Core Xeon/10GB 800 MHz DDR2 running OS 10.6.8) and each time i use Final cut the playback is choppy at best (even when running the footage of the internal Hard Disk) and Apple-R does not work at all and the same can be said for using Motion. It seems to output fine but editing is nearly unusable..It has been working fine for years until we switched the applications onto the hard disk. I am pulling my hair out over this one and i do not have that much to play with...

Cheers

Glen Mackintosh

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Apple - R not working/Slow playback within FC
on Nov 7, 2011 at 3:53:23 pm

What format of media are we talking about here? What codec? You shouldn't need to render it just if you are doing basic editing. If it is a codec that FCP doesn't work with, then yes, FCP will act very sluggish. And by format, I mean more than just ".mov Quicktime." I mean what CODEC? ProRes? Sorenson 3? MP4?

[Glen Mackintosh] "It has been working fine for years until we switched the applications onto the hard disk."

And as a rule, the Applications...all of them, including FCP, need to be installed on the main hard drive...the one that contains the operating system.

And then the media should ALWAYS be stored on another hard drive...NOT the main hard drive with the operating system. Firewire 400 at least...firewire 800 better. eSATA even better.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glen Mackintosh
on Nov 7, 2011 at 4:25:34 pm

The codec is XD Cam EX 25p VBR . We moved the application from the Raid Array drives as it was slow and put them onto the main hard drive (not hard disc sorry).

I do store the media on separate drives but i thought i would test the problem to see if it was the external hard drive by running the footage on the internal hard drive. This change did not improve the playback speed.

What is more concerning is that Apple Render (Apple -R) does not work at all in both FC and motion. I have had the project up and running on other macs and it has been fine.

Considering i am running this on a relative beast of a machine on the Mac Pro, i do not understand why it is so slow. I have tried to search the Internet to no avail... I appreciate your quick response to my initial requests... thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 7, 2011 at 5:09:21 pm

[Glen Mackintosh] "What is more concerning is that Apple Render (Apple -R) does not work at all in both FC and motion."

Make sure that you have Apple-R set to render the color that needs rendering. It only renders RED, and maybe Orange by default. If you have GREEN, you need to manually set it to render GREEN.

[Glen Mackintosh] "We moved the application from the Raid Array drives as it was slow and put them onto the main hard drive (not hard disc sorry). "

It should NEVER have been there to begin with. Applications are to ALWAYS be installed on the main system drive. And you cannot just MOVE it. There are components that are installed all over the system. You need to actually install the application from the installer disks.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glen Mackintosh
on Nov 8, 2011 at 12:33:43 pm

I feel i must apologise for my somewhat murky explanation

[Glen Mackintosh] "What is more concerning is that Apple Render (Apple -R) does not work at all in both FC and motion."

Make sure that you have Apple-R set to render the color that needs rendering. It only renders RED, and maybe Orange by default. If you have GREEN, you need to manually set it to render GREEN.

I will give this a go thanks...

Shane - It should NEVER have been there to begin with. Applications are to ALWAYS be installed on the main system drive. And you cannot just MOVE it. There are components that are installed all over the system. You need to actually install the application from the installer disks.

The previous editor had installed the applications onto the Raid Away. I uninstalled all the packages and then from the installer disks installed the whole suite including all updates. The first time i used both FC and motion playback was extremely jerky and i could not use Apple/option R. I then repeated the process taking care to follow the instruction carefully so there was no extra unwanted content.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 7, 2011 at 7:11:34 pm

Just to get a better understanding on how to select your render settings from the FCP menu, select Sequence/Render Selection make a check box after EACH of the selections. Do the same for Render All. This will make sure that if there are any rendering required, FCP will do it.

I use a button or use the keyboard shortcut Option R.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]