FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with still image duration in Final Cut Pro.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
henry chinaski
Problem with still image duration in Final Cut Pro.
on Nov 7, 2011 at 12:27:22 pm

Hello,

I like time lapse photography, collating the stills in FCP to create a video.

This has always been fine with no problems ( I'm using FCP; 5.1 on a imac).
I would import all the images and put them on the timeline and select duration and set all the images for 0.5 of a second.

Recently,I find that the duration setting will allow me to go down to 1 second but if I try any lower the selected images all revert to 2 seconds.

I read around various forums and have tried altering the import preference for stills; user preferences- editing- still/freeze duration . . . but the same thing happens; it will not let me set below 1 second. I did this before importing.

I've tried altering on the viewer also.

By repeatedly typing in a time duration I can sometimes get it to stick at 0.01 but it's very random and will not accept any other amount below a second.

I have also tried deleting the FCP preferences but that did not work either.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Problem with still image duration in Final Cut Pro.
on Nov 7, 2011 at 2:16:02 pm

FCP will allow you to have a duration of 1 frame. If you are unable to get this to stick as you say, trash your preferences.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

henry chinaski
on Nov 7, 2011 at 2:45:04 pm

Hello Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
AI mentioned in my original post that I have tried deleting my preferences; after your reply I had another go, using these steps:

In the Finder, go to ~/Library/Preferences—the tilde (~) represents your Home folder.
Remove the "com.apple.finalcutpro.plist" file from the Preferences folder.
Remove the "Final Cut Pro User Data" folder from the Preferences folder.

But still no luck.

Just to clarify what I mean by 'stuck', is:
I go to -User preferences-editing-still/freezeframe duration.
I set it at half a second and click OK.

If I then go back to -User preferences-editing-still/freezeframe duration.. . it will read two seconds.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 7, 2011 at 6:34:58 pm

Here's a program that will delete your prefs correctly.
http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

As far as setting the still duration, Final Cut Pro Tab/User Preferences/Editing/Still_Freeze Duration
You should be able to set this as low as 1 frame. All changes should take effect when you re-import you stills. Why it revert back to 2 seconds, is a mystery to me. Try restarting your system if all else fails.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Joel Hufford
on Nov 10, 2011 at 5:23:32 pm

Also Henry, you can use the "Open Image Sequence" in Quicktime 7 Pro to import a group of still images and Quicktime will allow you to specify how long each image should appear in the timeline. When you click OK, Quicktime builds a movie with your specified settings.

Once you do that, you can export your movie out and bring it into Final Cut for editing.

It doesn't solve your preferences issue I realize, but it is another way to skin this cat!

joel
Corporate and Special Event Staging Services
http://www.pacificstaging.com

Return to posts index

Jan Edward Vogels
on Feb 7, 2012 at 6:31:22 am

I've discovered the same issue. What's odd is that Final Cut, Final Cut Express and Final Cut Studio never had this "bug." What's scary is that iMovie has always had this bug. Coincidence?

The Final Cut Pro X "counter" lets you go down to 1/10 of a second....useful for stop-motion effects...but no matter where the counter is set, the image is imported at 10 seconds.

Anybody know how to report this bug to Apple?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]