FORUMS: list search recent posts

What to move when moving video files off hard drive. Workflow question.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Montica Pes
What to move when moving video files off hard drive. Workflow question.
on Nov 7, 2011 at 8:53:59 am

Hi,
After a great deal of agonizing, I am going to purchase a G-Safe tomorrow (RAID 1) and move files off of my hard drive.

Here's my question and it will be an absurdly simple one. What files am I actually moving?
To explain, I have a 27" iMac and use a 7D. When I did my first shoot I backed files up on an external Iomega and then put the files onto my iMac. I created a folder called "converted files for (project name)" and then used streamclip. Then I worked for a few months on the project and everytime I exited, I saved a new fcp file with the day's date and the project name. Now, I'm thinking I'm an idiot, because 1. that's probably not the way to save that day's editing work. Shouldn't I just save a new sequence within the same project? So, I guess my first question is how I should be doing this part.

Next, if I am moving files off my computer to the G-Safe, what am I moving exactly? I mean what is FCP7 referencing? Is it the file I created with the converted clips? Is it the capture scratch? What should I move to the G-Safe (or other external drive) and what gets left on the iMac?

And if I have been saving each day's work incorrectly, is there a way to combine all those fcp files into one project. Or, was I doing it right?

I'm completely spent trying to get my workflow right a year after I began using the program...but now it seems necessary with clients coming in and disk space running out.

If it is at all important, I am also a photographer, so I was considering the drobo for a minute...until everyone on here balked.

Thanks for help and direction!
Monty :)

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: What to move when moving video files off hard drive. Workflow question.
on Nov 7, 2011 at 12:32:34 pm

Hi Monica,
if you have converted the files with MPGstreamclip, for FC there is not any kind of relation with the original files (h264). FC can see only the converted files. That's what you will need to reconnect in your project.

When you convert with L&T FC keeps the relation of the converted footage and the original.
rafael

[Montica Pes] "And if I have been saving each day's work incorrectly, is there a way to combine all those fcp files into one project. Or, was I doing it right?"
If you have saved each day in a different project, open a new project and drag&drop the media from each project to the new one. You can also drag the sequence that you might have on each project to the new one.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: What to move when moving video files off hard drive. Workflow question.
on Nov 7, 2011 at 3:07:23 pm

If you want to preserve your complete project for future editing, then you need to copy the entire project folder and project files.

I have my FCP project and imported files in one folder. My RAW footage, DSLR, EX-1 video files are on another drive and in their own folders.

When you copy everything to another hard drive, copy EVERTHING as is so you can use it later. The problem is that FCP will not know where your files are and it will give you the MEDIA OFFLINE message. You will have to point FCP to the files folder so it understands where everything is again.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite