FORUMS: list search recent posts

H.264 to Pro Res conversion - color change

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Devon Armstrong
H.264 to Pro Res conversion - color change
on Nov 5, 2011 at 8:02:54 pm

Hey, I shot on a 7d and a 60d, and I want to edit the footage without any loss of quality. I tried converting to prores, using mpeg streamclip and while the quality seemed close, there is a noticeable change in color. It turned dark and murky. Any word about this?
Also, is there a codec besides Pro Res that I can edit with without any loss of quality? I'm shooting in 23.98 fps.
H.264, 1920 x 1080, Millions
Linear PCM, 16 bit little-endian signed integer, 2 channels, 48000 Hz
Thanks in advance!

7D, 60D.
Carl Zeiss Primes. Zacuto Viewfinder.
Zoom H4N, Rhode NTG-3, DV PRO mix 3
Manfrotto tripod. Jag35 follow focus. DIY dolly.
Macbook pro 13in. Final Cut Pro 7.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: H.264 to Pro Res conversion - color change
on Nov 5, 2011 at 8:18:16 pm

Want the BEST quality? Use the app "5DtoRGB." THe conversion will take a LONG long time. but the quality will be better. And ProRes is the best option. ProRes 422...NOT HQ. That's overkill for Canon DSLR, as it is an 8-bit 4:2:0 format. The best quality you can actually convert to is ProRes 422. Going to HQ won't gain an quality...it will only gain file size.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Devon Armstrong
on Nov 5, 2011 at 10:07:55 pm

Thanks for the quick answer! When I'm using MPeg Streamclip there is a slight yellowing of the footage when I convert to Pro res 422. Am I doing anything wrong here?

7D, 60D.
Carl Zeiss Primes. Zacuto Viewfinder.
Zoom H4N, Rhode NTG-3, DV PRO mix 3
Manfrotto tripod. Jag35 follow focus. DIY dolly.
Macbook pro 13in. Final Cut Pro 7.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 5, 2011 at 10:12:34 pm

Try another converter, like the one I mentioned, 5DtoRGB. Or Compressor.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 6, 2011 at 1:46:18 am

[Shane Ross] "Try another converter, like the one I mentioned, 5DtoRGB"
The 5DtoRGB is the only tool to manage properly this conversion and to correct any color issue.
Also introduces Chroma Filtering so make a great 420 > 422 resampling.
But takes looooooong.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 6, 2011 at 2:46:27 pm

It sounds like MPEGStreamclip is not processing the color correctly converting the video to ProRes. I'm with Shane, don't use this converter for 5D footage. Free software isn't free if wastes your time. Time is money.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so often hard to figure out what he is talking about. He is always happy to explain answers further.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Nov 6, 2011 at 1:17:28 pm

Devon, I hope you don't mind, when I chime in here.

Shane and Rafael, can you advise me, which Decoding Matrix to use best with 5DtoRGB?

When I shoot with the Technicolor Cinestyle, it's clear - then I use the Technicolor Cinestyle decoding matrix.

But why is 601 available, it's just for SD video, isn't it? So I assume it's for the SD capabilities of the Canons (which I don't use).

Am I right or did I miss something?

Any advise greatly appreciated!

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 6, 2011 at 1:36:37 pm

[Peter Burger] "But why is 601 available, it's just for SD video, isn't it? So I assume it's for the SD capabilities of the Canons (which I don't use)."
Hi peter,
I know very little on those matters (neither I have a Cannon), but as you say 601 is the standard color matrix for SD. i would try that when converting that footage.
I also understand that when you shot HD with "Technicolor Cinestyle", 5DtoRGB properly convert it to CCIR 709.
I've used 5DtoRGB jut to experiment. The chroma resampling is very interesting if you intend to do color grading or ChromaKey.
rafael

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Nov 6, 2011 at 9:03:53 pm

Thanks, Rafael!

Yes, the chroma sampling is fantastic. Very high quality! Since I did a lot of grading lately (in After Effects) 5D2RGB has become an invaluable tool for me!

I did a bit of experimenting and interestingly the transcoded footage looks closer to the native files, when using 601 than when using 709. With 709 I got a slight gamma shift, which I think is nothing too serious and can be corrected with no effort.
From what I read, the canon files are in sRGB which is closer to 709 (or even "includes" 709) than 601. I only have (very) basic knowledge of color-spaces, so I'm thankful for every bit of information.

So thanks again!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 7, 2011 at 3:21:22 pm

[Peter Burger] "From what I read, the canon files are in sRGB which is closer to 709 (or even "includes" 709) than 601. I only have (very) basic knowledge of color-spaces, so I'm thankful for every bit of information."
Right.
sRGB basically is the RGB version of the CCIR 709 (YCbCr).
sRGB was standard in computer so I guess the Broadcast HD video adopted the CCIR 709 norm so HD would look OK in computers screens.
rafael

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Nov 7, 2011 at 8:13:00 pm

Thanks again, Rafael! Very much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jan 7, 2013 at 5:21:46 pm

A link from the past, but very actual to my Question: Hi Raphael, how would you compare 5DtoRGB to The Log&Transfer tool of FCP?
I shot a film on MARK III with ZEISS Prime Lenses in Technicolor Cinestyle Profile.
Will there be really such a difference to FCP's LOG&Transfer?
Can you also Log & then Batch Capture in 5DtoRGB, so you can recapture Multiple Clips at once - we are talking about more than 500Clips.
I read from Shane it takes a long long time? True? Much longer than FCP's L&T Tool?

Thanx.

Have a great day.

Sascha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]