FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro audio sync problem: bug or am I doing it wrong?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Glasshon
Final Cut Pro audio sync problem: bug or am I doing it wrong?
on Nov 5, 2011 at 4:27:45 pm

Hi, I'm doing the audio for a short film that was edited in FCP 7. For some reason the editor never thought to sync the production sound with the clips before editing, so it's my job to sort this out. I've tried making new clips using merge. Getting the production audio in sync with the video clips is easy, as we have clear clapboard points but when I replace these with the original clips in the edit sequence the audio is out of sync.

Here's exactly what I do:
1. In a new sequence drop the video and new audio in, and merge them using In points.
Now I have a new clip that has production audio, great.

2. I go to my complex sequence, edited with the original clips with camera audio, and select the first clip (A). I get it's In point, and set that to the In point of my merge clip (B).

3. I replace clip A with B and the video is in sync but the audio has shifted.

My thinking is that my new merge clips are now using a new In point which is different for audio and video as they are both referencing a different point in their 'time', e.g. video clip is at, say, In 0 seconds and audio is at in point 1 seconds, and I set a new In point 3 seconds and instead of FCP making a relative offset it uses the original offset of 0, leaving my audio 1 second out of sync.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Is there a way of replacing the audio in the original clips, other than syncing them and exporting them, then re-importing? I'm afraid to do this and lose the quality, shot in HD and it's a film project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]