FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting frame size in Compressor for FCP7 Multiclip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Beech
Converting frame size in Compressor for FCP7 Multiclip
on Nov 5, 2011 at 12:46:42 am

I'll come clean and tell you that I'm a newbie so please be gentle. I've got 30+ years of professional audio experience but the video side is a new "adventure" for me. Trying to edit a 2 camera shoot of some live music plus add in a direct-from-the-board audio recording. Audio will be edited in another app.

Camera 1
1440x1080 HD
Imported from SD card

Camera 2
720x480 SD
Captured via FW from miniDV tape

I've been attempting to convert the frame size and crop the HD file using Compressor (output to MPEG-2). What I'm confused about is that the clip from camera 2 when opened in the FCP Viewer does not appear to be displaying at 720x480. It really looks like 4:3.

When I apply cropping parameters (60px on both the left and right sides) to the camera 1 clip in the Compressor Geometry pane, the Preview window displays what appears to be 720x480.

I don't get it. Did I not use the correct settings when the FCP project was first created such that it is only letting the Viewer show me a 4:3 aspect ratio? If so, it just cropping the left and right sides of the camera 2 clip? I would think it would be letterboxing instead...

Any help will be VERY much appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Converting frame size in Compressor for FCP7 Multiclip
on Nov 5, 2011 at 12:05:22 pm

Was camera 2 (SD) shot anamorphic/Widescreen? Then it will be letterboxed on a 4x3 monitor.
What is your delivery?
SD-DVD?
Web?

If you don't need HD, edit it all in an SD sequence.
Don't edit mpeg in FCP.

Take a DV clip and drop it into a new sequence. Let FCP match up the settings for you.

Put the HD files in the SD sequence and resize as needed.

When you edit is DONE, change the compressor in the sequence settings to 10 bit Uncompressed or ProresHQ. Render fully, export using "Current Settings" Take that file into your compression program to create your deliverables.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Jay Beech
on Nov 5, 2011 at 3:32:38 pm

Thanks so much for your response, Chris!

Camera 2 is not widescreen-capable. I was thinking that 720x480 should have also displayed as slightly letterboxed in a 4:3 Viewer window. Not so?

Delivery will be both web plus DVD for archiving.

Don't need HD.

Are you saying that I can take the camera 2 clip(s) as originally captured and drop into a new sequence - I don't need to recapture? By the way, all of the files in my "captured" (or whatever it's called) folder are .mov. Want to make sure that I imported them correctly to begin with.

How do I resize the HD files (within FCP?) so that I can create a multiclip with the DV clip?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 5, 2011 at 3:41:49 pm

Then you have 4x3 - not widescreen, not letterboxed.

You don't need to recapture anything.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Jay Beech
on Nov 5, 2011 at 3:48:49 pm

OK, thanks. Back into the studio tomorrow afternoon to try your recommendations. Much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Jay Beech
on Nov 6, 2011 at 7:28:38 pm

I guess I may not understand what you're telling me to do. I've created a new sequence in my existing project and I'm attempting to use the clips as they exist already in the Browser. They've been renamed and have in and out points set. Dragging them onto the "Insert" overlay of the Canvas does not prompt any format or settings dialog for FCP to "match."

Plus, aren't Multiclips created by selecting 2 or more clips in the Browser? If I bring clips into a new sequence (onto the canvas or timeline), I don't have the option of making multiclips, do I?

Maybe you were suggesting that I should create a new project rather than just a new sequence?

Sorry to be such a problem child.

Return to posts index

Jay Beech
on Nov 6, 2011 at 7:49:15 pm

Might it be significant that the video playback setting is listed as...

[Missing] Apple FireWire NTSC (720 x 480)

?

Return to posts index

Jay Beech
on Nov 7, 2011 at 2:22:03 am

Well, I ended up changing the frame size and cropping the HD clip (from Capture Scratch folder) in Compressor and outputting as a .mov. That finally worked. I'm afraid I just didn't have any luck with your method, Chris. Maybe that would have been a better way to do it, but I need to get this done.

Thanks for trying to help, though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]