FORUMS: list search recent posts

work flow and storage for large scale project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
isaac cole
work flow and storage for large scale project
on Nov 4, 2011 at 7:36:30 pm

Hi all,

I was brought on a project where there is around 7 tb of ProRes HQ doc footage. I was told the reason they decided to go straight to HQ instead of offline/online was because they would rather have all of their footage as high quality as possible even though that meant storage/performance compensation.

But so far they have been daisy chaining two external Gtech Raid drives together with fw800... and I would like to get something better going. Right now there are no internal drives on the mac, besides one for the op system. So I was thinking of putting in 3tb internal drives into each of the remaining three drive bays, which will give me around 8tb of total space. But with six more interviews left, I'm thinking this won't be nearly enough...

I am thinking that I can either put the rest on an external drive and work off of the three internal drives and one external with the capture scratch set on the external? Does this sound like it makes sense?

Or should I have them buy a big Gtech Gspeed with four drives chained together? OR maybe I should just transcode the rest of the interviews to proxies? But I would rather keep it consistent and not work with both HQ & Proxies.

I'm almost tempted to tell them we should just re-transcode everything to Proxies! but I don't think they will want to hear that...

2x2.4 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16 Gb Ram
FCP 7

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
Re: work flow and storage for large scale project
on Nov 4, 2011 at 8:03:25 pm

There's no easy answer here. For most efficiency, get a big enough raid and be done with it. Cheapest cost, just buy 3tb drives and put them in the Mac.

Good luck.

Mark

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 4, 2011 at 8:07:56 pm

[Mark Raudonis] "Cheapest cost, just buy 3tb drives and put them in the Mac."

Do as Mark says, but do stripe the three drives together as RAID 0 for approximately 3X the throughput and thus substantially better realtime performance.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

isaac cole
on Nov 4, 2011 at 8:11:04 pm

Thanks Guys! Even with the 3x3tb internal drives I'm thinking I'll need another external drive for the rest of the interviews and capture scratch...

It's going to be a pain in the ass copying these drives onto the new drives but I know it will make a BIG difference, and since I won't be partitioning the drives they can use the external drives as their back up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]