FORUMS: list search recent posts

Error message "Video compressor H.264 was not found"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louis Grant
Error message "Video compressor H.264 was not found"
on Nov 4, 2011 at 7:33:42 pm

I recently opened up fcp to continue editing footage shot on a Canon 550D in .MOV format, and to my surprise the projects opened without bringing up the viewer, canvas or timeline. Trying to bring these up by opening sequences resulted in the message "Error: Out of Memory".

I checked scratch disks, tried reopening the program, no luck.

Upon opening sequence settings, I was confronted with the following message:

The compressor is indeed missing from the list in Sequence Settings.

I am now pretty stumped: I haven't knowingly done anything that would cause a compression format to vanish from the system, and am not sure how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Error message "Video compressor H.264 was not found"
on Nov 4, 2011 at 7:55:20 pm

FCP doesn't edit H.264 well. Not well at all. You are not supposed to use the raw native H.264 files that the camera produces in FCP. It just doesn't work. They need to be converted to ProRes. Always. Only Adobe PPro CS 5.5 handles native H.264, and that's with the help of a lot of RAM and a beefy NVidia graphics card to enable CUDA and the Mercury Engine. Without that help, H.264 is a bear!

Here is the tapeless workflow for FCP...

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

You need a plugin to bring in the Canon footage via Log and Transfer. Barring that, there is Grinder by Red Giant Software, 5DtoRGB (that takes FORVER, but the quality is great), or MPEG STREAMCLIP (free), or Compressor (also free, part of your FCS package).

Or...use the Media Manager in FCP 7 to RECOMPRESS all the footage you have in the project to ProRes 422. not HQ, not 444. ProRes 422, or LT. Yes, the amount of space the new files take up will increase considerably...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Louis Grant
on Nov 4, 2011 at 8:15:43 pm

Thanks for your reply: I was vaguely aware that I shouldn't really be trying to place the raw files into FCP, but I guess out of sheer laziness I haven't been bothering to convert them most of the time.

The thing is, even projects that contain completely different file formats are still refusing to open, and coming up with the "Out of Memory" error. Even when I try creating blank new projects with nothing in them, I am unable to open any sequences in the timeline, or indeed bring up the timeline, canvas or viewer - attempts to do so result in the same error.

Also that doesn't seem to explain why the H.264 compressor would choose to disappear all of a sudden, even if it is inadvisable to be editing the raw footage.

I'll definitely take a look at that video and follow your advice in the future though, thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 4, 2011 at 8:22:44 pm

Trash the FCP preferences. Digitalrebellion.com has a free app that does this, called Preference Manager.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Louis Grant
on Nov 4, 2011 at 8:38:48 pm

Solved it. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]