FORUMS: list search recent posts

stepping and de-interlacing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Hall
stepping and de-interlacing
on Nov 3, 2011 at 8:02:03 am

I am editing some old NTSC DV footage for the first time on FCP7, I am seeing some stepping on hard/contrasty horizontal surfaces which I don't remember seeing from my old NLE. This seems to change depending on what size I set my viewer, but the stepping is most evident when I view full frame (Digital Cinema Desktop Preview) on my MBP. I don't have a proper monitor. I have tried the default Apple De-Interlace effect (upper odd) and it seems to take the edge off, at the cost of considerably softening the entire image. I wonder if this is the best solution. I also wonder if I have imported the footage correctly (DV NTSC 48Khz) in the first place, not having noticed the stepping before on other non-linear editors?

I greatly appreciate any light that anyone can shed on this problem.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: stepping and de-interlacing
on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:02:22 am

[Peter Hall] "his seems to change depending on what size I set my viewer,"
That's the proper way of setting the window.

[Peter Hall] " I have tried the default Apple De-Interlace effect (upper odd) and it seems to take the edge off, at the cost of considerably softening the entire image."
DV is LOWER FIRST.
The default de-interlacer is not a good filter. You can try Revision FieldsKit or, the Nattress deinterlacers or JES de-interlacer (stand alone),.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Peter Hall
on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:28:32 am

Thanks Rafael, the sequence is set to lower (even) dominance, but the default de-interlacer only removes the stepping when it is set to upper (odd). I agree it is probably not very good but it is better than Stibs and TMTS de-interlacers I have already installed. I shall look into those products you suggested. Thanks for coming through, once again!

Peter Hall

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 3, 2011 at 12:00:46 pm

If your footage is interlaced it will not look good on a computer screen as they only display progressive.

Don't deinterlace that DV footage if going to DVD.

Deinterlace it when you create a delivery for web or comp. screen.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Peter Hall
on Nov 3, 2011 at 4:51:14 pm

Thanks Chris, valuable points, well noted. Looks like I'll have to make different versions applying de-interlace in the few clips that need it. Mostly it will be for Youtube/Vimeo or QT file distribution. Much obliged for your info.

Peter Hall

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]