FORUMS: list search recent posts

QT output uncompressed 8bit NTSC turns 720x480 into 720x486

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nanako Kurihara
QT output uncompressed 8bit NTSC turns 720x480 into 720x486
on Nov 3, 2011 at 6:24:59 am

I am trying to output a one hour NTSC 48 khz video of frame size 720x480 with QT uncompressed 8bit NTSC setting into a hard drive. But when I do it, it turns it into 720x486 of blurred image. Why this 6 shows up? How can I output 720x480 uncompressed NTSC 8bit?

I use FCP 6.0.6. I shot SD miniDV and edited DV/DVCPRO setting.

Can anybody help me? Thank you in advance.

Nanako

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: QT output uncompressed 8bit NTSC turns 720x480 into 720x486
on Nov 3, 2011 at 8:49:04 am

Because normal standard definition NTSC is 720x486. That's the NORMAL dimensions. DV and DVCPRO 50 are 720x486...they are 6 pixels light. When you encode as Uncompressed 8-bit NTSC, the result will be a full pixel 720x486 output.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:08:17 am

So change the sequence setting to 480 instead of 486.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Nanako Kurihara
on Nov 3, 2011 at 10:09:05 am

Hi Shane and Rafael, Thank you for the responses.

I realize this existence of 6 difference finally, Shane.

Rafael, To change the sequence setting to 486 means to "uncompressed NTSC"? Does that mean to start all over again from capturing the footage and so forth? Or do you have a better idea than that?

Are you guys suggesting that the sequence edited DV/DVCPRO can't be output as it is uncompressed by pushing a button?

I am rather confused.

I am supposed to give a uncompressed sequence file to a person who does authoring DVD. What is the best format to output to if uncompressed doesn't work? Thanks.

Nanako

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 3, 2011 at 1:48:10 pm

[Nanako Kurihara] "I am supposed to give a uncompressed sequence file to a person who does authoring DVD. What is the best format to output to if uncompressed doesn't work?"

Export a Quicktime Movie...self contained, do not recompress. This will be a lossless QT file, and not nearly as big as Uncompressed 8-bit. By exporting as Uncompressed 8-bit, you are re-compressing the footage to another format. Don't do that. Export a self contained QT movie...it will be the best quality you can export.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 3, 2011 at 2:53:49 pm

[Shane Ross] "Export a Quicktime Movie...self contained, do not recompress. This will be a lossless QT file, and not nearly as big as Uncompressed 8-bit. By exporting as Uncompressed 8-bit, you are re-compressing the footage to another format. Don't do that. Export a self contained QT movie...it will be the best quality you can export."
As Shane says in this case you win nothing going to 8b.
Export the movie with original codec and frame size.
rafael

Return to posts index

Nanako Kurihara
on Nov 3, 2011 at 10:08:32 pm

Shane, Rafael, Thank you. I understood WHAT IT IS finally.

Meanwhile, I have this larger problem. The media itself of this whole project on FCP seemingly corrupt-looking, that is, as if corrugated sheets were thinly laid out DIAGONALLY (you can see edges, for examples along a roof in the footage), especially obvious with subtitles, looking blurred. It happens not only when looking at a sequence and but also when looking at a single media in a viewer.

Initially it didn't look like this with diagonal lines at all. So something must have happened since then. Two things I can think of which might have affected like this might be:

1 I moved media files from one hard drive to another, since the older hard drive had a problem.

2 I started a new HDV project on the same FCP.

Could you figure this out? This project I worked on for five years plus finally has a chance to be turned into a DVD. If you could help me on this, I'd really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 4, 2011 at 12:19:42 pm

[Nanako Kurihara] "The media itself of this whole project on FCP seemingly corrupt-looking, that is, as if corrugated sheets were thinly laid out DIAGONALLY (you can see edges, for examples along a roof in the footage), especially obvious with subtitles, looking blurred. It happens not only when looking at a sequence and but also when looking at a single media in a viewer."
Nakano,
Media could get corrupted and you would have problem to play the files, but "picture' corruption is something that I don't think possible.
I think you have a problem with monitoring (you should be watching that on an interlaced external monitor) and suffering the shortcomings of the original DV codec. Graphics looks very bad when compressed to DV.
Try this:
- Check that the render options are set to full quality (User Preferences > Render Control)
- Set the Canvas window at 100%.
- Duplicate your sequence and change the sequence codec to Prores. Set "Render all YUV in High Precision".
Render a portion of the sequence and see how that looks.
rafel

Return to posts index

Nanako Kurihara
on Nov 4, 2011 at 3:24:51 pm

Hi Rafael, Thank you so much for a further advice. Yes, I am watching on a Mitsubishi LCD external monitor.

Mitsubishi monitor spec site (but in Japanese except numbers)
http://www.mitsubishielectric.co.jp/home/display/product/standard/rdt232wlm...

I did follow your instructions and made a ProRes 422 sequence. Their subtitles looked in the same poor quality on the monitor, while in 100 percent canvas window they both looked perfect. (in 200 percent they got blurred.)

Meanwhile, I burnt this sequence onto a DVD and watched it. The subtitles looked OK without those edges, although image quality is not as great as I would like it to be.

This is just a MONITOR issue? Or do I have a REAL problem? I didn't understand what your instruction aims to accomplish, since I am unfamiliar with these different formats. Could you explain it?

Thank you again.

Nanako

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 5, 2011 at 2:58:08 am

Nakano,
FC Canvas (computers screen in general) are not not good to judge color, but are ok to judge picture sharpness. Sounds to me that your external monitor is not properly adjusted.
Make sure that the monitor is set to display the picture "1:1" (one picture pixel takes one screen picture) and the picture is not blown up, otherwise
If the display is not set like that, or the picture is being blown up, the monitor is interpolating pixels and you lose sharpness.

[Nanako Kurihara] "
Meanwhile, I burnt this sequence onto a DVD and watched it. The subtitles looked OK without those edges, although image quality is not as great as I would like it to be. "

That can be due to the application and setting you are using .
If you are using the Compressor Presets, think that they can always be tweaked.
Also there are applications that makes a better job than Compressor for MPEG-2 encoding.
rafael

Return to posts index

Nanako Kurihara
on Nov 5, 2011 at 4:50:34 am

Thank you, Rafael!

A picture, especially subtitles, in a 200 percent canvas window on my computer, looks as bad as in the 23 inch monitor. Doesn't this suggest that the sequence picture itself has a problem now, instead of a monitor calibration issue?

I am so eager to make sure that the sequence itself is fine!

Thank you for being so kind and patient.

Nanako

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 5, 2011 at 5:49:26 am

[Nanako Kurihara] "A picture, especially subtitles, in a 200 percent canvas window on my computer, looks as bad as in the 23 inch monitor. Doesn't"
That's normal. Set the Canvas window at 100% if you want to have a valid reference.
In your external monitor try to play the picture at 100% too and as i said look in the monitor menu and set it "1:1".
rafael

Return to posts index

Nanako Kurihara
on Nov 5, 2011 at 7:18:25 am

Rafael, I fixed a couple of things and it looks much better now. Finally I proceed to output the sequence in a QT movie file with the current settings!

QT movie uncompressed 8 bit 720x486 threw me into a hell hole initially. But because of this I learned greatly. Thank you very much for helping me figuring this out. I rose from hell to almost heaven in spiral!

Nanako

P.S. I didn't realize that you are in Laos. A new Asia connection! Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]