FORUMS: list search recent posts

aspect ratio for sequence of still photos

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arani Roy
aspect ratio for sequence of still photos
on Nov 3, 2011 at 5:31:13 am

Hi,
I am quite new to FCP and have a fairly basic question. I have a bunch of still photos that I am trying to put into a sequence. The stills have been taken using a simple DSLR but have been cropped to different sizes. I want to put them together into a sequence and then burn the clip into a DVD. The DVD will primarily play on to a HD TV/monitor, and sometimes on to a SD TV. Since the stills all have different sizes I understand that there must be appropriate black bars around them depending on the type of monitors being used, and that's totally ok. I just don't want any distortions or stills spilling out of the screen.
Trying to figure out how to set the sequence up to do this: between the two outline boxes in canvas, the pixel aspect ratio and the aspect ratio, I am a bit confused. Can someone tell me what the settings should be and how should I scale each image so that it is output perfectly for HD and SD TV displays?

thanks much!
Arani

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: aspect ratio for sequence of still photos
on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:06:20 am

Make sure than in the Users Preferences > Editing, is checked "Always scale clips to Sequence Size".
Then drop the clips in whatever sequence you want.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jorn Bergmans
on Nov 3, 2011 at 1:50:58 pm

Also, your pixel aspect ratio should be "square pixels". DSLR cameras (or actually all new digital devices that create images) almost always use square pixels.

As for your composition's aspect ratio, the prettiest solution very much depends on what is closest to your pictures' aspect ratios
Although I guess the safest bet would be to go for a 4:3 aspect ratio in your sequence, to minimize the risk of old SD tv's cropping out the left and right parts of your image. (tho 4:3 will cause pillarboxing on widescreen tv's)

Whichever way you twist and turn this, you will have borders, and perhaps borders within borders if your photo's are all different sizes.

Hope this helped... Good luck

Return to posts index

Arani Roy
on Nov 4, 2011 at 3:45:01 am

Thanks very much! I tried out a couple of sequences with these suggestions and it worked out fairly well for the screen size issue. However, I am getting HUGE degradation in the quality of the pics! I turned off compression (by setting compressor to "none"), but still the pics after exporting to quicktime looks really crappy compared to the originals. Is FCP known to degrade photo quality?

A.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 4, 2011 at 9:14:04 am

[Arani Roy] "I am getting HUGE degradation in the quality of the pics! I turned off compression (by setting compressor to "none"), "
What means "NONE"?
The NONE codec?
Don't use that: 8b RGB.
FC doesn't makes a great rescaling, however in the sequence setting check "Render Motion Effects: BEST".
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Arani Roy
on Nov 8, 2011 at 4:38:01 am

thanks all for your help!

Arani

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]