FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice needed for a multiple video format project (from assorted mobile phones, DSLRs, point and shoots, etc.)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francis Levy
Advice needed for a multiple video format project (from assorted mobile phones, DSLRs, point and shoots, etc.)
on Nov 3, 2011 at 3:49:20 am

Hi guys! I'm about to shoot a music video using different devices: iPhone4, iPad2, Canon T2i, 7D and 5D, GoPro Hero, Drift X170, Lumix TZ10, MacBook Pro webcam, among others. As you can imagine, I wanna brag about making a piece this unique...

I will edit on Final Cut Pro 7, and have decided to shoot 30p (I guess all devices have that frame rate in common). I wanna have an HD 16:9 final video (keeping in mind only some devices shoot HD and use that aspect ratio), and I might even change it to 23.98 at the very end to give it a "cinematic feel".
I am aware that the footage from devices that shoot 4:3 will need to be cropped and some of it being SD will look like well, blown up SD!

Is there something I should do and know in order to successfully convert (with MPEG StreamClip) and import so many different formats? What workflow would you setup if you were doing this?
Thanks in advance!

Francis Levy
Colima, Mexico

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: Advice needed for a multiple video format project (from assorted mobile phones, DSLRs, point and shoots, etc.)
on Nov 3, 2011 at 5:38:06 am

Best advice I've got is hit it with ProRes. Everything. I would probably work in a ProRes LT 720p 29.97 progressive timeline since the iPods, Canons, and GoPro can all hit that. Uprez the 4x3 SD to 960x720.

As for getting the footage there I would use Compressor instead of Streamclip. You can queue everything up on one single job instead of babysitting a computer all day long. Make a custom Compressor preset for 16x9 to convert to ProRes LT, 29.97fps, not interlaced. Go to the Geometry button and pick 1280x720, pixel aspect at Square (1.0000).
Make another preset for the 4x3 content with the Geometry's frame size set to 960x720, same pixel aspect.
Make a destination preset for all of the footage. You'll bring media in this folder into Final Cut.

After your presets are built drag the footage in, drop the appropriate setting and destination onto your footage, hit Submit twice, and get a decent night's sleep, and then start editing.

If you're going to be doing a lot of colour correction or treatment you should go with ProRes422 instead of ProRes422 LT. ProRes HQ or 4444 is overkill for the footage you're working with.

Return to posts index

Francis Levy
Re: Advice needed for a multiple video format project (from assorted mobile phones, DSLRs, point and shoots, etc.)
on Nov 3, 2011 at 6:28:30 am

Wow Jeff, that is one piece of advice! I am thankful for all the details you describe on that workflow. I will take all of it in consideration for my project.
Any thoughts on how to convert the final file from 29.97 (I'd probably make a self-contained QT) to 23.98?
I was thinking of following this tutorial:

Thanks again and hola amigo!

Francis Levy
Colima, Mexico

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Nov 6, 2011 at 6:37:53 pm

Why 23.98? Do you have international broadcast deliverables?

Return to posts index

Francis Levy
on Nov 6, 2011 at 8:28:15 pm

Hi John, I want the final piece on 24p (23.98) for a more "cinematic" look, rather than the standard NTSC "television" feel of 29.97. This video will be viewed online most of the time, it is not for broadcast purposes.
Thanks for asking.

Francis Levy
Colima, Mexico

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Nov 7, 2011 at 1:42:18 am

Hi Francis,

Ah yes the the whole "24p is better". Unless you're able to shoot the ENTIRE project in 24p your asking for trouble converting 30 or even 60 to 24. Keep in mind the horrendous video look you want to avoid is 60i... 30p is half that rate and much closer to 24p than 60i.

A look at the future of the "cinema look"

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/peter-jackson-talks-at-length-about-using-...

Return to posts index

Francis Levy
on Nov 7, 2011 at 3:41:30 am

Thanks for the advice and the link John!

Francis Levy
Colima, Mexico

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Nov 3, 2011 at 3:33:21 pm

I second Jeff's recommendation. ProRes for everything. One common codec that plays well on Mac and inside of FCP. We commonly use ProRes422 here at our shop for things shot on GoPro's or Canon 5D/7D cameras. It holds up well if recompressed and does and adequate job for color grading. If you're doing heavy VFX, like Jeff said, ProRes422 HQ of ProRes 4444 are the way to go. But you'll need more hard drive space and speed with those codecs.

FYI~MPEG Streamclip can batch process just like Compressor (List-->Batch List or Command+B shortcut). There is very little (if any) quality difference between the two.

Return to posts index

Francis Levy
on Nov 3, 2011 at 5:03:21 pm

Thank you Ryan, your advice is appreciated!

Regards,

Francis Levy
Colima, Mexico

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Nov 3, 2011 at 10:18:42 pm

If you want to finish in 24p I would suggest converting to 24p at the front rather than the back. The HDSLRs and GoPro shoot 720/60, which will convert to 24p better than the 30p that came from 60p would convert. Compressor can do a nice job of converting frame rates, if you go to the Fame Controls, turn them on, and use Best quality Rate Conversion. Be sure to look into setting up a quick cluster if you're going to use Compressor for your frame rate conversions. It will take quite a while. Quick Clusters can really accelerate the process if you have a Mac(Book)Pro with a hyperthreaded quad core, 8 cores, or 12 cores.

Return to posts index

Francis Levy
on Nov 5, 2011 at 2:30:23 am

Thank you Jeff!
I could even shoot 24p with the DSLRs and also iPhone4 (using Filmic Pro App) so I would convert only for the remaining footage from devices that shoot 30p. Am I right?

One thought: if I convert at the front, I'd need to convert all the raw footage from devices before start to edit, so it would be time consuming (I need to edit it all in less than 3 days!). On the other hand, converting at the end, I would only need to convert the final 4 minute video. Do you think the workflow used by Philip Bloom does not offer a good alternative?

Again, thank you so much for all your help.

Francis Levy
Colima, Mexico

Return to posts index

Francis Levy
on Nov 16, 2011 at 10:53:01 pm

Hi Ryan! Thanks again for your advice. You can watch the finished video at:

Cheers!

Francis Levy
Colima, Mexico

Return to posts index

Francis Levy
on Nov 8, 2011 at 12:50:20 am

Hi Jeff! Me again with a question on how to log AVCHD footage from a Canon HG10.
Your workflow suggests converting footage in Compressor, but how do I get there with AVCHD files?
I've never used them before in such a workflow. I already had trouble using log&transfer on FCP, getting this message:

"AVCHD" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.
(Footage recorded on camera internal drive, camera USB connected to MacBook Pro; disk mounted on desktop)

I will also need to log AVCHD footage from a Panasonic AG-HMC70.
The rest of the footage is: Mpeg from a Sony Cybershot; H.264 from 7D, 60D and T2i, Quicktime from Drift X170HD, and Quicktime from iPhone4 and iPad2.

Thanks in advance!

Francis Levy
Colima, Mexico

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Nov 8, 2011 at 6:00:38 pm

The error means the camera directory has been altered in some way. I'm not a fan of formats that require a byzantine directory structure to work, P2 included. You can try Clip Wrap, but it may require the directory be correct as well.

http://www.divergentmedia.com/clipwrap

John

Return to posts index

Francis Levy
on Nov 8, 2011 at 8:17:58 pm

I will check that out, thanks!
So once that issue is solved, what is the best way to have the AVCHD files ready for compressor?

Francis Levy
Colima, Mexico

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Nov 9, 2011 at 12:30:24 am

You can't send the AVCHD files directly to Compressor. You will need Clip Wrap to turn them into .mov files. Clip Wrap gives you the option of just re-wrapping them as AVC.mov or encoding to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Francis Levy
on Nov 9, 2011 at 5:54:05 pm

I'll use it then, thank you so much.
Best regards,

Francis Levy
Colima, Mexico

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Nov 9, 2011 at 11:24:59 am

Regarding your AVCHD material, of Log & Transfer isn't working look for a plugin for your particular camera. I would strongly recommend looking into Shane Ross' tutorial for working with tapeless media. I would normally post a link, but I'm using my touchphone right now.
The Panasonic camera should Log & Transfer without any trouble. The HDSLRs can either go in via Log & Transfer after installing a free plugin from Canon's site (search the 5D2 downloads) or can be converted to ProRes in Compressor.
The iPods and Drift should go through Compressor without a hitch. I'm guessing the Cybershot won't give you trouble in Compressor, but there are a lot of different mpeg formats.

Return to posts index

Francis Levy
on Nov 9, 2011 at 5:53:36 pm

Thanks a lot Jeff! I will consider all the details you mention.
Regards,

Francis Levy
Colima, Mexico

Return to posts index

Francis Levy
on Nov 16, 2011 at 10:52:18 pm

Hi Jeff! Thanks again for all your help. You can watch the finished video at:

Kind regards,

Francis Levy
Colima, Mexico

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]