FORUMS: list search recent posts

My burned Blu Ray discs keep skipping

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Williams
My burned Blu Ray discs keep skipping
on Nov 2, 2011 at 7:23:11 pm

It's my first time burning anything to Blu Ray, and I bought a LG 8x external Blu Ray writer that attaches to my new Macbook Pro (4gb RAM, 2.5 processor).

The original .Mov file is 720x480, 29.97fps, interlaced. I have used Toast 11 to encode the files and burn them to BD-R, I have imported .264 files from Compressor AND Final Cut X and burned them in Toast 11, and I have used FCP X's Share feature to encode / burn BD discs. The result is always the same - after the disc is burned, I pop it into a Blu Ray player (or use VLC or Blu Ray Player), and after 5-10 seconds the video and audio will freeze. After 2 seconds, the video will glitch and keep playing for another 5-10 seconds, freeze, repeat.

I've been searching for a solution (or anyone who has experienced a similar problem). Toast has created DVDs flawlessly, but this is new territory and I'm not sure if I'm screwing up something basic.

The original video was interlaced, so I have been converting it to progressive during the encoding, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

What are the optimal settings I should be using for the encode?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
Re: My burned Blu Ray discs keep skipping
on Nov 2, 2011 at 9:53:06 pm

Check to see if you have a damaged disk. Copy the BDMV folder to your hard drive. If it stalls, your disk is damaged.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so often hard to figure out what he is talking about. He is always happy to explain answers further.

Return to posts index

Chad Williams
on Nov 2, 2011 at 10:07:28 pm

I burned a BD-R using HD footage (1280x720, 24p) using just Compressor and the disc turned out fine. Next step, I used Compressor with my interlaced, 720x480 file and burned a BD-R using m2v instead of .264 - also turned out fine!

I've applied a de-interlace filter and am burning the file using Compressor (m2v file), fingers crossed.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 2, 2011 at 10:22:23 pm

Why are you putting SD (720x480) material on a BD-R?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Chad Williams
on Nov 2, 2011 at 10:52:23 pm

The film festival venue that I'm screening at won't accept anything less than Blu Ray, so even though it was shot on DV tape, transferred to DVD, I had to dig up the old .mov master and convert it by Friday.

Looks like .264 files were the reason the discs were freezing every few seconds. Don't know if that's a compatibility issue with this burner and the Blu Ray player I was testing with, but using .m2v files finally solved it, all the discs I'm making now play beautifully. Thank you Lynda.com for the helpful tips!

Return to posts index

Chad Williams
on Nov 4, 2011 at 4:16:46 am

Back to square one - the discs keep freezing / skipping every few seconds. I copied the files from a recent burn onto my hard drive, and the video did NOT skip when played from my machine - only when played on the Blu Ray player / writer. I have tried different types of Blu Ray discs, all freeze when played back.

Has anyone experienced a consistent problem like this?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 4, 2011 at 11:49:44 am

Did you play the disc in a standard Bluray player set top box?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Chad Williams
on Nov 4, 2011 at 1:42:01 pm

Testing in a set top box at least some of the discs play fine...I wonder if its an issue with the re-writer. It's connected by 2 USB cords...maybe not enough juice to play back the videos?

Still testing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]