FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transition technique question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Wilkson
Transition technique question
on Nov 2, 2011 at 4:51:44 am

Hi I have a simple question:

I want to accomplish an affect where one scene melds into another. Say you're in a house and then the camera pans quick to the left and all of a sudden you're at the beach. The best example of what I'm talking about that I can think of is from this music video at around 3:50

My question is if there is a common name for this technique so that I can research how to do it properly? or could someone explain to me how this is accomplished with good results?

Thanks a ton,


Return to posts index

Gaz Evans
Re: Transition technique question
on Nov 2, 2011 at 11:51:03 am

If it is the transition I think it is in that clip it is far more dependent on being shot correctly than any editing trick.

The motion needs to be identical in motion and speed in the two clips then its just a case of cutting at the point which makes the transition feel as smooth as possible. Basically experiment a little with the timings so the transition doesn't feel too long or short.

Gaz Evans

Workflow Technician
The diROOM

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Transition technique question
on Nov 2, 2011 at 8:02:27 pm

Every single episode of the Twilight Zone did this with a straight cut. Some match better than others. Basically pan the camera away on one shot and to on the other. A quick dissolve in the middle smooths it out. You could also ramp the speeds on either clip if it still doesn't match.

There are whip pan plug-ins, but they're just going to do a motion blur and push slide for the most part. Definitely looks like an effect vs. the optical camera trickery in that video. Interesting video BTW.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved