FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon Vixia HF11 Clips to .mov files (or other suggestions)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Smith
Canon Vixia HF11 Clips to .mov files (or other suggestions)
on Nov 1, 2011 at 7:51:40 pm

Guys,
I need some direction. I have been reading forums and blogs about buying software to satisfy my problem. I don't mind to do this, but want to make sure I buy the right thing the first time.
So I have a Vixia HF11 camcorder. The files are in a format that cannot be viewed on a mac without having to first use FCP log and transfer. This is not what I want to do... I want to simply turn this clips into a .mov file (or any other file type that you guys suggest) to watch on my macbook.
This is nothing of major importance... this is just home video stuff of my son on Halloween. We bought this camera for my wife to use to video him and I need a super easy way to show her to how make the clips viewable when she puts the card in the SD slot on my mac... at some point, I might go back and edit some of the footage to some degree so for my own preference I'd like to have a format that doesn't lose quality that I can import straight into FCP 7 and start editing with...
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...
right now I am looking at this: https://www.regnow.com/checkout/product/16339-10

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
Re: Canon Vixia HF11 Clips to .mov files (or other suggestions)
on Nov 1, 2011 at 8:02:32 pm

I just used handbrake... I have no idea if I used the best settings with Handbrake but I did get a file that is .m4v
the good news is that yes, my wife can now view that clip but the bad news is that i can't import that file type into fcp when it comes time for me to edit this stuff shot with this camera...
again, any help is so greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 1, 2011 at 8:11:07 pm

Clipwrap 2 by divergentmedia.com. $49...and will convert to many different editing codecs, including ProRes variants.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Nov 1, 2011 at 8:22:58 pm

i had seen that name suggested by another forum member... thanks shane...
if i do this, can i format the card for her and just count on the files created by that program to import into fcp without the originals?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 1, 2011 at 8:30:19 pm

ALWAYS BACK UP THE ORIGINALS!! I cannot stress that enough. NEVER convert the footage, and then toss the originals. Bad bad bad bad bad BAD idea. First off, the originals take up very little space compared to the files that you convert them too. I mean, A LOT less space.

Second, if you lose the drive with the converted media, you are hosed. Do you toss tapes in the trash after you capture them? I don't think so, you put them on a shelf. The same goes with this footage. Put onto an archive hard drive, and shelve it.

Third...converting them to ProRes ties you to one NLE...one that has drastically changed. So FCP 7 is EOL...dead. And FCX may or may not be something you want to use. What if you want to switch to Adobe Premiere Pro? That works with these files in their native format...no converting. WHat about Avid? yeah, you can import the ProRes files via AMA, but Avid would prefer that you convert the files to Avid media, so why not do that from the originals?

Backup that footage.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Nov 1, 2011 at 10:47:50 pm

If you want just to play the files Roxio video player is a good option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]