FORUMS: list search recent posts

Splitting audio tracks for OMF export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Peplin
Splitting audio tracks for OMF export
on Nov 1, 2011 at 6:08:13 pm

I am trying to export an omf. file that is larger then 2gb. Due to the 2gb limit, fcp is not allowing me to do so. At this point I just want to break the audio into segments but can't quite figure out how. I would think that setting in and out markers in the timeline would do it, seeing as how that is the solution if I want to export just a portion of the video, but it doesn't work. When I set markers it still attempts to export the entire thing.
Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Splitting audio tracks for OMF export
on Nov 1, 2011 at 6:18:27 pm

Think in terms of reels - each 15 to 20-mins.

Find places where you can make a straight cut without cutting audio clips, and divide up the project into several smaller sequences.

Yes, it's a bear, but it's necessary.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 1, 2011 at 8:45:50 pm

As you have discovered, in out markers do not apply to an OMF. As a sound post person, I prefer to get the project split along the timeline in chunks, as David said. Make duplicates of the timeline to work with and delete sections in the duplicates. It doesn't hurt to leave a clip overlap. Do not move any chinks from their place in the timeline so if you do it by copy paste to a new sequence, the clips must start at the correct place in the timeline.

An alternate way is to turn tracks off and on. This limits the OMF export to tracks that are on so the project can be split up vertically. Ask your sound post people what they want.

Return to posts index

Chris Peplin
on Nov 2, 2011 at 6:32:22 am

I was hoping there would be an quicker solution, but I guess there's no way around the extra work. You would think they would make it possible to make omf files bigger though.
Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]