FORUMS: list search recent posts

Way to export edits from AE into Final Cut Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sharad Patel
Way to export edits from AE into Final Cut Pro?
on Oct 31, 2011 at 9:24:47 pm

Automatic Duck covers going from Final Cut to AE, but what if you have cut up a clip and applied effects in AE and then want to render it and export the edit points back to Final Cut where you want to open the clip and then have it divided into the same cuts that were in AE. This would let you then import into Color for the final touch.

Is this possible?

My work:
http://www.vimeo.com/ufoclub1977

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Way to export edits from AE into Final Cut Pro?
on Oct 31, 2011 at 9:41:50 pm

No, it isn't. AE only renders out full self contained clips.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sharad Patel
on Oct 31, 2011 at 9:54:50 pm

Right, just as Final Cut Pro only RENDERS out single encompassing clips as well, right?

But there must be a way to get some sort of XML type information out of AE and trigger Final Cut Pro to cut it up. Maybe someone has independently programmed this.

After looking it up, there might be a way to push cuts from AE to Premiere and then to Final Cut.

My work:

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 31, 2011 at 10:13:33 pm

That's not how the workflow works. You use After FX to create your comps and bring the final composition (self contained movie) back into FCP.

You can create your basic comp (multi layers) in FCP and bring that into AE to bring it to life.

Same goes for Motion. There a little more round tripping in Motion.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 31, 2011 at 11:49:20 pm

Not sure about getting back into FCP as edits but what if you round trip via Premiere Pro. I know PP can open FCP7 projects so round tripping to AE from there is possible but I don't know if yoyu can XML from PP back into FCP.

Bit of a work around but worth looking at. Perhaps you could XML directly from PP to Color. I am pretty sure that is possible

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 1, 2011 at 12:08:52 am

When you send a comp from AE to PPro, it comes in as one single file. Even if you have multiple cuts in AE. Tellin' ya, it doesn't work the way you want.

Shane

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 1, 2011 at 12:21:49 am

When you send a comp from AE to PPro, it comes in as one single file. Even if you have multiple cuts in AE. Tellin' ya, it doesn't work the way you want.

Shane

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 1, 2011 at 1:34:26 am

That's why they call it AFTER Fx.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Sharad Patel
on Nov 1, 2011 at 3:52:30 pm

A true workflow for the visual portion of a project is : editing / special effects / motion graphics / color correction-image mastering.

Yeah, I should have mentioned earlier that the reason I want to take it back into Final Cut Pro is as a sort of live storage area for the project since sending and updating teaks to Color is really easy to monitor and keep fresh through viewing the project in Final Cut Pro.

Sorry, it should be a question of: Can I take my cut location info from AE into Color.

Retaining the edits really helps make the process in Color faster. So maybe I should look into getting some kind of data out of AE straight into Color.

After all, 3D programs like Lightwave and Maya had translations to open position data in After Effects and vice versa.

These would help speed up my process on scenes like this containing many cuts and tons of After Effects work to cover up the original 30p HDV look of the original footage:

My work:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]