FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera and File Type Settings for Optimal Import into FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Boyd
Camera and File Type Settings for Optimal Import into FCP 7
on Oct 31, 2011 at 3:38:44 pm

Greetings! I've had a project sprung on my at work: I have been asked to edit what will be a simple training video, components of which are to be recorded in Greece, but I am located in the USA (and they will not fly me out there to record in person...

The Powers that Be have asked me for specifications on how the Greek folks should set up the camera in the recording room, so that the files will be easy for me to edit on my end. Ack! Eek! Nooooo!

I have never done this sort of, ahem, workflow. I've always been present to set up the camera, then I log and capture from either tape or upload the files from Flash memory. What should I tell them? I don't want to end up with some weird format that is un-editable/uses some diabolical codex from hell...HELP!

I'm looking for simple camera settings and then what file type they should convert/save as once they are done recording the subjects.

Thank you so much!

KB
(The Graphic Designer with Basic Video Skeelz Who's Been Drafted).

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Camera and File Type Settings for Optimal Import into FCP 7
on Oct 31, 2011 at 4:31:19 pm

Have them use NTSC cameras, if they can...and if this is to be played in the US.

And don't have them capture/convert ANYTHING! Have them send you the full camera archives. The full card structure as shot by the camera. Each card in a separate folder. If they shoot to tape, have them send the tapes.

Get the masters. DO NOT rely on them to convert to a format you need.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 31, 2011 at 4:38:52 pm

KB

To keep it simple for you, I would say shoot in NTSC 720/60 in DVCPro HD. For the shooter it's not that simple. The native format in Greece is PAL. If the video is going to the web only, they can shoot in either PAL or NTSC. Find out what camera they plan on shooting with and go from there.

Fortunately FCP can handle many file types. There are also different ways to convert codecs such as h.264 whether from a cell phone, Flip camera or DSLR.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Kate Boyd
on Oct 31, 2011 at 4:49:19 pm

Thanks guys - I am going to attempt to get my paws on the original files...but if not possible, I am a bit more in-the-know on appropriate settings than prior to posting. I know that the training materials will need to be in both PAL and NTSC at the end of the project.

I've sent requests for what equipment they have lurking on their end/expertise. Could be they have a FCP maestro :O)

Cheers and thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]