FORUMS: list search recent posts

slow fade-in from left to right ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olivier Bochenek
slow fade-in from left to right ?
on Oct 31, 2011 at 12:04:10 am

i'm looking for a way to fade-in a text from the first letter (left) slowly to the last letter (right) with fast ajustements (i use final cut or motion). I found a way with final cut with a gradient and keyframes but the adjustments are long...

thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: slow fade-in from left to right ?
on Oct 31, 2011 at 12:09:48 am

That's called an edge wipe. Give it maximum feathered edge.

Return to posts index

Olivier Bochenek
on Oct 31, 2011 at 12:23:24 am

thanks but there is just a on/off feather edges option in final cut, i want to be able to adjust the width very soft... ?

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 31, 2011 at 4:12:54 am

Try it in Motion. Much better for this sort of thing.

Return to posts index

Olivier Bochenek
on Oct 31, 2011 at 4:30:39 am

i already spent many hours trying... that's why i ask here

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Oct 31, 2011 at 9:53:21 am

Hours? In motion add your text and then add a behaviour, text-basic, fade characters left in. Or, add a feathered edge mask to the group with your text in and animate the mask. Or, even simpler in FCP click the motion tab and then animate the crop (in your case, right crop) and feather the edge. Minutes!
Matt.

Return to posts index

Olivier Bochenek
on Oct 31, 2011 at 12:10:27 pm

thanks, the crop tool in final cut works even if i find the edge feather not wide enough for my needs even at 100.
in Motion i don't find the bahaviour «text-basic, fade character left-in» ? or even the feathered edge mask ? i'm in motion 4, not 5 !

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Oct 31, 2011 at 12:18:58 pm

Well I don't know why that is. Motion 4, add behaviour at the top of the screen, text basic, fade characters left in. Do you have any behaviours? Mask tool is top left.
Matt.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 31, 2011 at 2:30:04 pm

You can also do the exact same thing with the the Boris Title 3D Generator. Have the letters fade in individually over time. Which is to me, much less organic than a soft edged wipe. And the feather edges is not just an on/off. It's controlled by the border width, which I know is a a little bizarre as a feathered edge is anything but a border but adding the effect and clicking a few things would have figured it out. A feathered edge will give you more of a letters emerging from the fog, left to right, as if a light was passing over them. Whereas fading the letters in individually is akin to the letters being lit with a light from within and slowly being illuminated.

You can also create a gradient wipe easily to do a very soft effect. Drag the default gradient generator (generators>render>gradient) to the timeline or a bin. Then apply the gradient wipe to your text clip. Then drag the gradient generator from the tl or bin to the well within the gradient wipe effect control panel. Kick the softness all the way to the right, and also click the reverse (not invert) box on at the upper rt. Drag the effect to a bin or favorites folder for quick access.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]