FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing Codecs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nina Slabber
Changing Codecs
on Oct 30, 2011 at 10:24:32 am

Hi I am very new to editing and have only been teaching myself this year. I am editing a 24minute narrative that I shot on 16mm film. I got the footage back 10 bit uncompressed which I then took into Mpeg Streamclip to change into pro res proxys to edit in. After I had completed an assembly cut I re opened the project and I kept getting error messages whe I tried to open random clips, General error: out of memory. After a very stressful 2 days of trying to solve that i was advised to NOT edit in proxys and to rather edit in dv pal? So I took my original 10 bit files through Compressor and converted to DV Pal. I then (I think a big mistake) deleted my proxys and relinked my footage to the DV Pal. Now I have no sound synced to my clips in the browser and when I open a silent clip in the viewer the whole lab roll comes up but it's just a black screen with only the subclip part of the clip playing as normal. It's as though they no longer a clip on it's own? The viewer scrubber bar also has little lines which I've never seen before? So exhausted now I just can't think straight to try solve this. Any help?

Kind Regards, Nina.

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
Re: Changing Codecs
on Oct 30, 2011 at 4:08:09 pm

Wow, I really feel very bad for you, but don't panic. If you still have your original 10 bit video you may be able to save the project, as you can go back and convert the broken clips. Check your sound sync by stepping frame by frame over the video clip. It might not be out of sync because it could be a slow hard drive or computer performance. The original DV PAL should not be linked to the proxies.

Most people aren't aware of all the problems that MPEGStreamclip can create, as it can seriously mess up your video. You should really have used the media manager to create the proxy files in Final Cut Pro. This way Final Cut has the clip record in the database. Never delete anything in Final Cut until you test your final project. Hard drive space is cheap, but time is really expensive.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so often hard to figure out what he is talking about. He is always happy to explain answers further.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]