FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 Workflow and Disk Space

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Montica Pes
FCP7 Workflow and Disk Space
on Oct 29, 2011 at 11:15:23 am

Hi,
I just discovered my FCP files take up about half of my hard drive disk space and I'm pretty sure that is not what I'm supposed to be doing. Does anyone have a link which explains to me the beginning of a workflow? Not just the injestion phase, but also now that I have projects I have completed and may return to, how do I go about ordering these in a new way so I don't have to go searching for offline files. I'm terribly scared to do anything that is going to make my work more difficult because I'm confused...or worse yet, I lose valuble, irreplaceable footage.

Thank you in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

Best,
Monty

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: FCP7 Workflow and Disk Space
on Oct 29, 2011 at 4:54:04 pm

Your media files should be on a different drive than your system drive. Your media drive(s) should be backed up and wiped clean when they start to get full -- never more than 80%. Your project files should be on your system drive and backed up -- they are very small files. If you have been editing with media on your system drive then sooner than later your system drive will get corrupted and you can loose all your work. Plus you are slowing down your system and edits.

You should post what kind of system you have so people can help. You should buy an external raid for your media. You should buy an external drive to back up your system drive. If your media is important you should buy another drive to back up your media drive. One day this too shall pass but there is no absolute way to protect media or any data at this point so be sure to store it in more than one place.

Get carbon copy cloner for easy reliable back ups of your system drive and your media drive. It's free and easy to use.

What type and size of media you are using will determine how fast a media drive/connection you need. Post details.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Montica Pes
on Oct 29, 2011 at 8:17:00 pm

Hi,
Thanks for responding! I have an iMac with a terabyte of storage on my hard drive and I am using a 7D and the resulting files as my media.

What kind of drive do you suggest? I hear RAID from a couple of sources and don't really understand what that is and I actually would like a name I could go into Best Buy or someplace on line and buy by name.

So I back my media up on two different EXTERNAL hard drives? One for archiving and one to work? Then I do my edits always pointing FCP at the external drive? Do I have this correct? When I do log and transfer from my CF cards, isn't that putting the original files on my desktop hard drive?

And now that I've been working this way, what's the easiest way to solve it so as not to disrupt my work too much.

I was watching a tutorial on here about transferring and backing up media, but he doesn't go into detail about beginning a work flow and how to sustain it. I wish I had this info.

Thanks again for any help!
Monty :)

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 29, 2011 at 9:24:00 pm

Use this tapeless workflow:
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

iMac is limited as far as options. But it what you have. Some RAID considerations, G-Tech and Caldigit. Other World Computing also has many options. You can only connect via FW 800 to your iMac.

RAID 1 = Mirrored. 2 hard drives each with identical data. Good for protection.
RAID 0 = 2 Hard drives striped as 1. Unprotected good for speed.
RAID 5 = Minimum 3 hards drives in an enclosure. Good for speed and data protection.

External monitoring is also very important especially when working with DSLR footage. Once again, not a lot of options with the iMac. Computer monitor is NOT accurate. It also is very different compared to a broadcast monitor or even a cheap LCD TV. You also can not simply connect your iMac to a TV.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 30, 2011 at 12:04:04 am

You can do a search for raid 0 or raid 1 or raid 5 or raid 10 and read a lot of stuff about them. But put overly simply, Raid means that you are linking two (or more) hard drives as one. For editing, raid 0 means drives are seen as one big unit. If your raid 0 say has two 1TB drives then it is seen as a 2TB raid and will be faster than a single 2TB drive. Raid 1 means that it automatically makes a copy of your data -- so if one hard drive goes down the other has a copy. Then you can get into combos of the two. External enclosures will be advertised as raid. Some of them allow you to swap out drives and add new ones. Some of them allow you to choose the kind of raid you want to use. Look around the Cow; you’ll see lots of ads for these. Read the features and you’ll understand you get what you pay for. Check out http://eshop.macsales.com. They carry a few good brands including CalDigit and their own brand. G-tech is another solid option. Don’t forget to also order a simple cheap external drive that’s big enough to back up your system drive. Use CCC and clone it. The first time it will take a little time. From there it backs only what’s been changed.

With an Imac you can attach an external by means of firewire 800. This is fine for some lower level codec’s but slower than say esata. Thunderbolt holds promise to replace it and is plenty fast except for some real demanding work. If your Imac has thunderbolt look into this option – it’s very new.

In FC if you have changed where your media is, you’ll get an error message. It is fairly simple to point FC to the new location.

http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/

Type in “reconnect media” in the search.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Montica Pes
on Nov 7, 2011 at 4:01:29 am

Okay. After a big meltdown this weekend, I am at my wit's end.

I was looking a Drobo--$300 and the cost of 1-2tb sata 3.5 hard drive to go into it. Then I read all this stuff about it not working for editing.

I can't afford the CalDigit option. I'm using an iMac and will be buying a MacBook Pro in a couple of months using FCP7 and the CalDigit option just seems like buying a Ferrari when I don't have a house kind of analogy.

So, do I just get a G Tech Drive and forget mirroring in an RAID 1 configuration and just save work to a couple of different drives? Or get the Drobo? I have $400 max to spend right now. I'm a photographer and a filmmaker using the 7D for both. I want to make 2 copies of my raw data and also back up my live work using Time Machine. Someone please just compare the options I've given and point me in a direction before I just have to check into Cedars psychiatric ward muttering stiped and raid and the computer ate my homework.

Thanks everyone, Monty

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 7, 2011 at 7:28:08 am

[Montica Pes] "So, do I just get a G Tech Drive and forget mirroring in an RAID 1 configuration and just save work to a couple of different drives?"

Yes.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]