FORUMS: list search recent posts

Your advice on FCP White Balance?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederic Baumann
Your advice on FCP White Balance?
on Oct 28, 2011 at 11:14:20 am

Hi,

I am developing plug-ins for Sony Vegas, and have no knowledge about FCP - just heard about the FCP 7 / FCP X story!

I have heard from pro videographers using FCP 7, that the FCP 7 white balance tool could be much better, and that it would be useful to have my white balance tool (for Sony Vegas), available to FCP 7 users as well.

So I would be very interested to gather feedback about the white balance tools existing for FCP 7. You may also have a look at http://www.fbmn-software.com/en/white-balance.html to see comparative pictures about the results my plug-in can provide.

Many thanks in advance for your advices,
Frederic

--

Want to Match Colors between clips? new plug-in here.
Check GPU-powered FBmn Software plug-ins to fix White Balance and Exposure issues.

Want to learn on Sony Vegas Event Pan/Crop tool? Watch my tutorial.
Or about Keyframes? Watch this one. French version here.

Return to posts index

Neal Broffman
Re: Your advice on FCP White Balance?
on Oct 28, 2011 at 1:36:53 pm

I think the best way to truly understand the FCP "white balance tool" so you can write a better Vetgas plug-in is to jump right into the the thick of it and open a clip in the version of FCP 7 you have installed on your computer at work and just apply that tool straight to a clip that needs a little white balancing. You will see immediately what so many have all known for so long and will be able to tweak that code you are developing to perfection. You will also have the added bonus of being able to show your superiors at Vegas that their money is well spent because you are willing to go that extra mile for the team by rolling up your sleeves and actually working with the tool you are working so hard to improve upon. Win-win. That FCP 7 /FCP X story is crazy, isn't it? What an opportunity for you.

Neal Broffman
One Production Place, Atlanta, GA
http://www.oneproductionplace.com
Latest project:
Series of profiles for the Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowships For New Americans.
http://vimeo.com/channels/pdsoros

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 28, 2011 at 2:23:46 pm

What's the problem with white balance on FCP? 3 way color corrector works great for me. Certainly has a lot more options than the plugin shown for Vegas. Looks like Vegas has a white balance problem though!

Return to posts index

Frederic Baumann
on Oct 28, 2011 at 2:58:42 pm

Thanks for your inputs.

Maybe my post was ambiguous: I am not a Sony employee, but a third party developer.

Best regards, additional inputs welcome!

--

Check GPU-powered FBmn Software plug-ins to fix White Balance and Exposure issues.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Oct 28, 2011 at 6:11:22 pm

Why write plugins for EOL software? Sure plenty of people are still using FCP7 but that number is only going down. There is no long-term upside to supporting FCP7.

Why not write the plugins for FCPX or Premiere Pro or Avid?

Ryan

Return to posts index

Frederic Baumann
on Oct 28, 2011 at 6:29:13 pm

Thanks for your remark.

As I told you, I am brand new to FCP. I had the feeling that pros where pushing strong to get FCP7 back (and I've read that Apple has put it back for sale on their US site), and that FCPX was just not an option for them. But that's simply my impression, and I am here to gather feedback, to change my mind if necessary.

Thanks again,
Frederic

--

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Oct 28, 2011 at 6:38:17 pm

Apple did offer FCS3 (which contains Final Cut Pro 7) for a limited time over the summer after the backlash from the FCPX release. However, the software is discontinued and is no longer available from Apple. Some third-party resellers still have copies and you can still by it used on ebay.

I would be more than shocked if Apple doubled back on it's FCPX paradigm. They've spent years developing FCPX and seem convinced this is the editing metaphor they want to move forward with for the future (next 5-10 years). FCPX is built on current architecture and a modern code base and they're not going to give up more ground to Adobe and Avid in that area. Even if Apple dumped FCPX and came out with something new again, it still wouldn't be reselling FCP7. It would be FCP11 or FCP2012 and would likely not have much in common with FCP7 anyhow. FCP7 is dead.

If it were my plugin I'd put my time and talents towards software that is currently in development - FCPX, Premiere Pro, and or Media Composer.

Ryan

Return to posts index

Frederic Baumann
on Oct 28, 2011 at 6:41:43 pm

Thanks again!

And as you seem to know FCPX well, what is your point of view about its built-in white balance tool?

Frederic

--

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]