FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Mixing Tool - which meter do I use, and what dB's for dialogue and for peaking?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac Brillant
Audio Mixing Tool - which meter do I use, and what dB's for dialogue and for peaking?
on Oct 27, 2011 at 6:15:58 pm

Hi,

When using the Audio Mixing Tool to set levels in a sequence with multiple tracks (dialogue, music, FX), should I be looking at the Master meter (on the right side of the Audio Tool), or should I be looking at the track meters. For example, when I'm only playing my dialogue track, in the Master meter its hitting around -12dB, but on the A1's track meter, its going much higher, well into the red (although there are no number indicators on the track meters). Do the measurements on these 2 meters correspond to eachother, or does "red" mean something different in the Track meters?

And does the Master level meter in the Audio Mixing Tool = the small "floating meter" at the right of the timeline?

About levels: Should I aim for my dialogue to peak at -12dB and the loudest sounds to peak at -6dB, or is that too quiet? or, for the loudest sounds, is it OK to peak just short of 0dB?

This particular project doesn't have any explosions or anything, so there doesnt need to be a large dynamic range. It's mainly interviews with music, and the narration is pretty much consistent throughout. So I guess the most important thing for me right now is where to aim my dialogue levels.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Audio Mixing Tool - which meter do I use, and what dB's for dialogue and for peaking?
on Oct 27, 2011 at 10:12:17 pm

Mixing is about relative levels and apparent loudness which changes enormously depending on microphones used, dynamics processing, EQ etc. Yes as a general rule those dialog levels are good and safe, although not broadcast spec.

Depending on what you are delivering for audio levels vary. If yoyu let us know what the final is then I can give you better indications.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]