Arri Alexa logging

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
viking jonsson
Arri Alexa logging
on Oct 26, 2011 at 9:56:20 pm

Hello,

I need some guide lines here...

First project I work on as an assistant editor, we use FCP and we have been shooting on Arri Alexa ProRes 4444.

We use time code, which I have never used before so I need som help here; how to sync with time code?

I also need some tips how to prepare the project in the best way, from importing files to merge clips.

* every time i import an XML from the Alexa, FCP says some error occurred. The media i get in to FCP is then offline and I have to "Reconnect Media" and the FCP says that file attribute mismatch, if I reconnect the media and press continue will this fire back on me later?

I also have to compress the media cause of the editors cpu power.

Can I transcode all the media in MPEG Streamclip to ProRes Proxy, do the logging and syncing by time code, she edits and then send an EDL to the Onlining?

Every time I do this (with DSLR workflow - H.264 to ProRes Proxy Reconnect to ProRes 422(HQ)) FCP always miss some of the in and out points..

I thankful for answers.

Thank You
Viking

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Arri Alexa logging
on Oct 26, 2011 at 10:40:09 pm

Do a test before transcoding everything from the camera original files using MPEGStreamclip or Compressor to make sure it passes the timecode through. Make sure you match the pixel aspect to avoid resizing problems later. Media Manager can also be used to transcode and it will retain timecode properly.

Don't know what the Alexa xml files are about but ProRes4444 can be imported directly into a timeline. Have you checked the Arri website for workflow information?

Syncing should be done before editing. A few methods are possible depending on how the shoot was done. If a guide was recorded on the camera then Pluraleyes can be used to do a matching sync.
http://www.singularsoftware.com/pluraleyes.html

If no guide but matching timecode was used by camera and sound recording device then you can use Sync N Link
http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/Sync-N-Link/

Finally good old clapper board and manual syncing.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 26, 2011 at 10:47:42 pm

Basically you need us to tell you everything you need to know about assistant editing. How to do everything that needs to be done on this job. In a forum post.

No offense here, but how did you get the job as an AE on this project without knowing how to do any of the tasks that is required for the job? The fact that you haven't worked with timecode before, when timecode is crucial on a project like this is troubling.

One hint...DO NOT use MPEG STREAMCLIP in any part of this process. Use it and there will be no way to reconnect from low res to high res without a lot of effort and skill.

I think you are in over your head.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 27, 2011 at 2:43:36 am

Timecode = numbers. Match the numbers.

As far as XML from Alexa, this might help you, and if it works, you should donate. Seriously.

http://www.spherico.de/filmtools/alexaTool/index.html

Or this:

http://pomfort.com/silverstack/setedition.html

And seriously viking, step it up a bit, eh? :)

Return to posts index

viking jonsson
on Oct 27, 2011 at 5:40:50 pm

I how how to do lot of the stuff I was asking about but I just wanted to get tips how to do it really good.

And I want to be sure do this with the alexa cause I'm the kind of person who wants to know everything before I start.

Maybe it didn't come out that way.

Anyways thanks for the tips!

Return to posts index

viking jonsson
on Oct 31, 2011 at 3:26:02 pm

Everything is going really well :)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2011 at 3:58:33 pm

Good, what method did you decide on?