FORUMS: list search recent posts

EXPORTING HDV 1080 25p is giving jumpy image

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alicia pakareu
on Oct 26, 2011 at 8:08:52 pm

Hello, thank you very much for this great community.

I have a question, a problem with my exportation that doesn't let me sleep.
I'm editing HDV 1080 25p footege recorded with the Canon XHA1 in FCP 6.06. MACOS X 10.5.6 LEOPARD Proc.2.8 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR 2 SDRAM 800M.

My finished timeline is 7 minutes. Some effects, some LiveType titles (a little sawtooth like in the edges), and all looks good so far. The settings are HDV1080 25p timeline.

Now, I want to create a master with best resolution and best compatibility, I do not mind the file size.

I'm doing several tests and I'm not really satisfied.
The timeline looks perfect but once created the Quicktime file the image is jumping slightly, stumbling, the larger the file bigger the jumps. But once copied to a data file DVD is terrible, the picture is very jumpy and keeps on stopping.

I exported with and without Quicktime conversion. In different codecs: HDV1080 25p, in ProRes 422 HQ normal (before rendering in ProRes too). Frame rate 25, size 1440x1080. AAC.
The timeline looks perfect but once created the Quicktime file in all cases the image is jumping slightly, stumbling, the larger the file bigger the jumps. But once copied to a data file DVD is terrible, the picture is very jumpy and keeps on stopping.

I tried also to deinterlace although I don't think progresive should deinterlace? isn't it?

I don't know what else to try ! Why is that so difficul? Or am I doing something wrong?

I need to deliver this work and need help urgently!

Alioshka.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: EXPORTING HDV 1080 25p is giving jumpy image
on Oct 26, 2011 at 10:18:16 pm

Your problems are probably down to drive speed.
DVD drives are not quick enough to play HD Qicktime files. This is pretty common.
You must copy the file from the DVD to a fast hard drive in order for it to play smoothly.
I guess your timeline is HDV codec which is why it plays smoothly.

When you transcode to ProRes HQ the files are much larger and require faster drives to play.

There is no need to deinterlace progressive material it is not interlaced.

Its fine to deliver the file on a DVD but it will need to be copied before it will play or the recipient will have the same issues as you are experiencing.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

alicia pakareu
on Oct 27, 2011 at 9:36:01 am

Hi Neil, that really helped to understand, at least a part of it, as I'm not advanced at all.

The drive speed problem would explain this stumbling move!

My question is how am I supposed to deliver a file then?
Just a hard drive?
A pen drive?
Shall I tell them to copy right away to their PCs?

My doubts:

As I said the worst quality is when I play the QT file inside the DVD
but
also when I play the QT file in the desktop is not running good, at least is not running smoooth as in the timeline. So, I guess that also would happen in their Pc's, tv's, whatever...
So is not only a problem of the dvd drive?

Yes, my timeline is HDV 1080 25p codec.But the problem is the same exporting with HDV codec or Prores.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Oct 27, 2011 at 10:33:21 pm

As I said if you are transcoding from HDV to ProRes HQ you are creating a much larger and higher bandwidth file.

What kind of spec is your Mac that you are using ?

There is no problem with delivery on a DVD as it is simply a delivery method.

Pen drive could well be too slow as well to play ProRes HD well so that would need to be copied too.

I get short files delivered to me on DVD fairly regularly but I know I have to copy them to my raid drive before I can play them.

If your client is experienced with video they will likely know this too.

If not simply tell them that because its an HD file they will need to copy the file from the DVD to a hard drive in order to play it.

Final thing - does your client have the ability to play ProRes files ?

They will not have the codec on Macs as standard if they just have the standard quicktime player. Also the ProRes codec is not ideal for PCs as again they cant play it as standard without downloading the ProRes codec.

Depending on how the file is going to be used you may want to consider using something like the H264 codec as that is compatible with both PC and Mac and can produce a good standard with reasonable file size.

However again the DVD drive or pen drive may well be too slow to play it and it will need to be copied as before.

Hope thats helpful.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

alicia pakareu
on Oct 28, 2011 at 8:26:29 am

Hi Neil again, again thanks.

Running with FCP 6.06. MACOS X 10.5.6 LEOPARD Proc.2.8 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR 2 SDRAM 800M.

I deduce that as they not experienced at all and use PC, the best would be to tell them to buy a FIREWIRE o e-SATA external hard drive, and copy and play it from there.

Still probably cannot play the Prores file unless they have Quicktime Pro or download the Prores codec?

How about the HDV 1080 file?

So probably the best is to do a file H264 best quality. I always thought that was for internet only. But if that can be a master as is more compatible probably is the best option!

Your answers are reallly helpful Neil, with this lasts questions I think probably will be all right!
a.

Return to posts index

Pradip Patil
on Oct 27, 2011 at 3:42:58 pm

Is your timeline fully rendered?
Have you tried exporting smaller chunk, say 1 min, and playing it.
What player are you using too play the file?

Pradip Patil
Mumbai,India

Return to posts index

alicia pakareu
on Oct 28, 2011 at 7:41:56 pm

Thanks Pradip to answer!

Yes, I render everything.

I'm playing with Quicktime. But seems that my problem is the drives speed
that affects only the playback!
Does it makes sense for you?
Any other recomendation?