FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes without FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Walls
ProRes without FCP
on Oct 25, 2011 at 9:36:06 pm

Hi guys.

I have a Mac mini I want to use for transcoding but i can't install FCP on it. Is there a way to install ProRes without installing FCP so that batch a bunch of clips using mpeg streamclip?

Thanks,

Grant

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: ProRes without FCP
on Oct 25, 2011 at 9:53:08 pm

Not that I know of but Shane Ross mentioned the other day on a similar thread that installing just Motion 5 was a cheap way to install an app with ProRes encoding codecs that other software like MPEGStreamclip can then utilise.

It is also possible Quicktime Pro 7 will also give you ProRes but again I don't know for sure.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 26, 2011 at 2:03:23 am

[Michael Gissing] "Shane Ross mentioned the other day on a similar thread that installing just Motion 5 was a cheap way to install an app with ProRes encoding codecs "
I would try that.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Grant Walls
on Oct 26, 2011 at 2:33:55 am

I'll give that a go. But I have a feeling the Mac mini (first gen intel) is too old to run motion 5. Let you know how I get on.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 26, 2011 at 2:37:05 am

Hmm. Better check on compatibility with the Apple web site. Perhaps they have a demo version to download first. I know they have a demo FCPX but again compatibility with your machine might be an issue.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 26, 2011 at 8:53:15 am

[Michael Gissing] "compatibility with your machine might be an issue."
Yes if Motion installer doesn't allows the installation in your computer.

[Grant Walls] "I'll give that a go. But I have a feeling the Mac mini (first gen intel) is too old to run motion 5. Let you know how I get on."
You don't need to run Motion.
Just installing the App, the codec should be available in all the QT supported applications (AE, MPGStreamclip, etc).
I guess that you might need QT Pro as well.
Ask in the FCPCX forum.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Oct 29, 2011 at 1:23:53 am

You could just copy the quicktime components from the computer with FCP on it to the mac Mini....

Return to posts index

Grant Walls
on Feb 8, 2012 at 11:59:42 pm

Thanks mate. That worked perfectly.

Return to posts index

Michael Buell
on Nov 30, 2012 at 8:57:40 pm

I had a similar problem a while back and found this short guide, it worked perfect for me! :

"I've just found a way to get around this install 'problem'. In order to get these codecs to show and also to have access to all the other georgeous 422 codecs and other goodies, firstly download the new QT codec pack: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396 . Next, use the little app UNPKG ( http://www.timdoug.com/unpkg/ ) to unpack the contents by simply dragging the downloaded .dmg file onto the app window. This then unpacks a master folder onto the desktop. Inside this folder, navigate down until you get to the QT .component files.

Next, drag these into your HD/Library/Quicktime/ folder and then the codecs will magically appear in all other applications like MPEG Streamclip, QuickTime Pro, etc (I would recommend renaming any existing .component files just in case of problems of course). I've done a test with it and it works like a charm on my Mac Pro running 10.6.7 and FCP 6. I was able to render out 422 LT clips from QuickTime Pro and MPEG Streamclip to use in a project. All the correct 422 labels also show in the codec lists in all encoding apps. If you try and install the QT codec pack on anything other than FCP X it gives an error, but this manual installation method gets around Apple's insistence that you buy everything new the minute it comes out! You can keep FCP 7 and X, I'm quite happy with 6!"

Return to posts index

Ravi Kiran
on Mar 12, 2014 at 9:39:35 pm

I tried this. I unpacked the .component files and put them into Library > Quicktime, then I rebooted just to be sure. I still don't see the ProRes options in Prelude or Media Encoder. Did I miss a step?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]