FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid to FC or Reverse?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Garvey
Avid to FC or Reverse?
on Oct 25, 2011 at 3:06:39 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a project with other students in which half of the class prefers to use Final Cut and the other half prefers Avid. Our professor wants us to use whatever is most comfortable with each editor and then, if theres possibility, a way to import a sequence from one program into the other so we could combine our work. The only way we see right now is just to export sequences and them import the .mov files. But I'm jsut wondering if theres another way.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Avid to FC or Reverse?
on Oct 25, 2011 at 4:55:50 pm

If you've got some money, there are programs out there that do the job, e.g., Automatic Duck, Boris Transfer...

Tricky if you haven't got that option though. You could get something simple across from FCP to Avid by exporting an edl from FCP and importing it into Avid using "create sequence" but you only get cuts & video dissolves coming through, so you'd have to do a lot of manual fiddling to replicate any kind of effects or audio work in it (too much IMO to make the process worthwhile).

Return to posts index

Douglas Garvey
on Oct 25, 2011 at 10:17:01 pm

Cuts and dissolves are absolutely the only things that come through the edl file?

-Doug

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 25, 2011 at 10:37:43 pm

The EDL format also supports some wipes and can include notes that have info about speed changes and filters but they are notes, not specific instructions to the edit software but might help rebuild the edit.

Return to posts index

david fried
on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:00:06 pm

it also depends on the media type but if you are using ProRes 422 media Boris will work great. But Both only bring across timeline , to get bin you need to turn the timeline into bin.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 25, 2011 at 5:30:47 pm

The ONLY way to get full sequences and media is with Automatic Duck or Boris AAF. And really, this should be a one way trip. Going back and forth often...transcoding the footage that much, can result in loss of quality.

And it only converts SEQUENCES, not full projects. But it looks like only the sequences are what matter.

Why continue teaching FCP, might I ask? FCP 7 is dead. It is a non-linear editor that has been discontinued, and soon will be phased out of production. Why teach an NLE with no future? Unless you want to teach FCP-X. But that won't see serious use in the professional market anytime soon. And there is NO WAY to get projects from Avid to it...or it to Avid. Well, not without a LOT of work.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]