FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backing Up Projects using disk images - need advice.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Backing Up Projects using disk images - need advice.
on Oct 24, 2011 at 9:55:44 pm

Folks, I am having a hard time understanding how to get FCP X to work like Media Manager whereas I select a project (a sequence) and back up only the content needed to rebuild my final edit.

I started out trying to use Steve Martin's (http://www.rippletraining.com/managing-fcp-x-events-projects-with-disk-images.html) method with Disk Images which I think is great and ideal (until it's better in FCP X), but here's the problem using one project example:

I only want the media needed to recreate the project archived to a disk image. Since the final commercial spot (ProRes Quicktime) is only 750 MB, the sparse bundle disk image shouldn't contain more than that. When I follow the FCPX instructions to archive by duplicating to the volume (the DI I created at 10 GB) and selecting Duplicate project + used media, the result well surpasses the media needed to recreate the final edit (whether I choose include render files or not) and the size of the DI resulting in an out of disk space error. Get info on the event and project folders of the original project to find the total media size gives me more than I need of course because that includes everything beyond the project (edit).

FCPX does not tell you like FCP 7 how much space a project takes up
FCP X seems to move the aliases to the disk image instead of the original media as the aliases on the DI point to another volume.

Any ideas? I am not trying to backup everything, but rather to start using the DI method to back up "media managed" projects.

Tangier

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]