FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupted Quicktime's created by FCP 7.0.3?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Flynn
Corrupted Quicktime's created by FCP 7.0.3?
on Oct 24, 2011 at 8:43:21 pm

I've been working on a project all summer in FCP 7.0.3. Footage is ProRes 4444 shot on the Arri Alexa, I'm editing on an early 2011 MacBook Pro i7 with 8GB RAM, OS X 10.6.8 All media and sound files are on a Caldigit external Firewire. I've had this setup for several months and it's been very smooth.

This morning I opened the project to make a few tweaks, and when I matched back to a clip, I had audio but no video - the video was white, like when Quicktime tries to play a corrupt file. Sure enough I go back to the source file on the external drive, and the Quicktime will not open. "The document xxxx.mov could not be opened", and there's no thumbnail preview either - just the Quicktime X logo. But here's where it gets interesting: not all of the files are in this state. There are random Quicktimes that are intact, but there's no order to it.

Needless to say, I'm stumped. I had this project open one week ago and it was fine. I haven't moved the drive, and all the other media and assets on that drive are intact.

If anyone has any insight, please advise. I'm hamstrung until I figure out what happened to these files.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Susannah Goodwin
Re: Corrupted Quicktime's created by FCP 7.0.3?
on Oct 25, 2011 at 9:32:39 am

I have the same problem where certain Quicktime files will not open and Final Cut projects are giving errors. Did you do a software update on your machine just before you found this problem? Maybe it's a coincidence but two macpro's I did the update on now have this problem but two macbooks that haven't had the update still work ok.

Return to posts index

Tom Durham
on Oct 26, 2011 at 5:35:22 am

I'm having weird problems as well since doing a recent update. Files that shouldn't need rendering now need rendering.

================================================
YOU can help save TimeSpace. Join the Chronos Protectorate!

http://www.95ers.com
http://www.SpaceAceMedia.com

Return to posts index

Susannah Goodwin
on Oct 26, 2011 at 9:31:30 am

Frank, I'm not sure if yours is the same issue but I resolved ours yesterday by removing Quicktime X and reinstalling Quicktime 7. I found a reference that the latest Quicktime update has made any mov files from Firestore hard drive recorders incompatible. I used Pacifist to downgrade Quicktime but then ended up also reinstalling the OS to get a working version of Quicktime again.

Return to posts index

Frank Flynn
on Oct 30, 2011 at 8:12:24 pm

Thanks for this suggestion, wish I'd tried it before reinstalling the entire OS, FCP and 25 other apps. On a whim I plugged the Firewire drive into another Mac and BAM - no "corrupt" files. Turns out the Quicktime files weren't corrupt, it was my system, or some recent modification to my system, that chose to display certain Quicktime files incorrectly. I went back and tried to isolate recently installed apps, but found it was probably a better idea to wipe my drive and reinstall the OS. Now the Quicktime files are "back" to normal, and I can continue editing.

I really wish I knew what caused this issue so I can avoid it in the future, but I'm glad I got it sorted out. I read in another forum that once Quicktime "corrupts" a file or files, the only way back is a reinstall of the OS. In this case your suggestion may have worked Susannah.

"Started on a Steenbeck, but wouldn't go back."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]