FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Compression settings for Without A Box Secure Online Screener?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Frazier
Best Compression settings for Without A Box Secure Online Screener?
on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:44:21 am

Hope this is the right place to post this. Have been out of this world for years now and lost touch. But, made a silly short doc (about some misguided folks who make, row, and race boats made solely of cardboard and duck tape) that was the audience choice favorite of my festival. Now, unexpectedly, I’m looking to send the film to other festivals and want to know the best settings for uploading to without a box.

The shot is just under 10 minutes and I shot on a DVX100b. I’ve tried H.264 LAN but the quality suffers too much when made full screen after without a box processes it.

So, any suggestions on the best settings for Compressor for this kind of job? Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Best Compression settings for Without A Box Secure Online Screener?
on Oct 24, 2011 at 12:40:43 pm

What specs does the festival give?
Are you referring to a "Drop Box" account?

Did you try .h264 mov file?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:36:04 pm

[Samuel Frazier] "I’ve tried H.264 LAN but the quality suffers too much when made full screen after without a box processes it."

[Samuel Frazier] "I shot on a DVX100b"
You are limited to 720x480. If you make it larger, your image will degrade. Try a higher bit rate when encoding h.264.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Samuel Frazier
on Oct 24, 2011 at 8:03:37 pm

Thanks for the help. Was wondering though:

1- Is there any alternative to h.264? A DV25 export is 2.11 gigs so just barely over withoutabox's 2 gig limit. Thought something like that would compress better with them. However, I can't seem to make a smaller DV25 file unless I change the frame rate (audio settings and frame size don't seem to change anything). Any thoughts?
2- I'm recompressing in Compressor using "Best" quality. This is a major tax on my system so I'm doing it on my old G5 running the previous version of Compressor (2.3 rather than v3.5.3). Will this make any difference in quality?

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 24, 2011 at 10:15:56 pm

DV compression is a consistant data rate. There is no way to change it. What you can do is edit your video and make it shorter so it comes in at under 2 gigs.

Other alternative, purchase more storage from DropBox.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]