FORUMS: list search recent posts

Highest Optimal Quality/Resolution From Final Cut Pro 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Agostino
Highest Optimal Quality/Resolution From Final Cut Pro 7
on Oct 21, 2011 at 4:24:55 am

I want to export a video at the highest possible resolution from FCP. I have FCP 7. I've done some research in to this subject and I've found that many people suggest highlighting desired clips, Exporting to Quicktime (without conversion) and Un-checking "Make Movie Self Contained" However, I'm confused by this method because my Sequence settings aren't set to the maximum quality and the file size is much smaller then if I was to export to Apple Prores 422(HQ). I've thought of using Prores however, on the Apple Prores Wiki site it states, "is intended for use during video editing, and not intended for practical or end-user viewing."

Could someone please explain to me what method I should use and why? I have spent too much time trying to understand this and I have a festival deadline on Sunday night.

Appreciated,

Thomas

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Highest Optimal Quality/Resolution From Final Cut Pro 7
on Oct 21, 2011 at 5:14:57 am

[Thomas Agostino] "Un-checking "Make Movie Self Contained" "
That makes no sense.
You won't get a movie but a reference movie pointing to the render files.
if you lose or move those render files you are in troubles.

Export with that checked on. That's all.

[Thomas Agostino] "'ve thought of using Prores however, on the Apple Prores Wiki site it states, "is intended for use during video editing, and not intended for practical or end-user viewing.""
What they mean is that there are delivery codecs that will hold the same quality while keeping the file much smaller.
H264 is the codec for that, but if you can send the Prores you don't have to think which setting to use for the H264.

[Thomas Agostino] "my Sequence settings aren't set to the maximum quality and the file size is much smaller then if I was to export to Apple Prores 422(HQ)."
Set your sequence to Prores, set "Render ALL YUV material in high Precision" and "Render Motion Effects: BEST".
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Thomas Agostino
on Oct 21, 2011 at 5:40:15 am

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Thomas Agostino
on Oct 21, 2011 at 5:50:03 am

I don't have a specific Codec in mind, I want to export with a codec that will provide the highest quality/resolution possible. I was only using Prores 422 as an example, I'm a student and my professor always suggests Prores (probably because so aren't issues with playing on her mac).

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 21, 2011 at 10:25:47 am

The export codec you need will depend of the footage codec and of what are you doing with the footage .

if you are just cutting DV, DVCPro, HDV, etc and your sequence doesn't need rendering, you can export that sequence (with the "Recompress all frames" unchecked). You won't get more quality than that.

As soon as you have to render the sequence, you need to avoid re-compression (that's degradation), so makes sense to use a less uncompressed codec (like Prores).

So will depend very much on your footage, your sequence setting and your edit.
You haven't mentioned nothing about this.
Another question is the Festival requirements.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]