FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP synchronization of footage shot on Arri Alexa after editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Cahill
FCP synchronization of footage shot on Arri Alexa after editing
on Oct 20, 2011 at 10:19:31 am

Hello Everybody, I have a sound synchronization query:

I'm editing a 25 min short film shot on the Arri Alexa with a HF mic receiver patched into the camera. So all the rushes have a temp track sound of a rough mix of the scene, which is often much worse than the clean sound files direct from the mixer which he gave me on dvds. The names of the camera clip files were generated by the camera and sadly do not match the sound files from the mixer.

My question is: can I edit with the clips I have with the temp sound from the camera and then when I am done, can I somehow synchronize only the clips that I used? (Less work). Or, do I have to synchronize everything from the beginning before I start editing? (Huge amount of work).There is of course not much time on this so I'd really like to be able to edit with the camera files and synch afterwards. But I'm not sure this is possible.

Is there a way to relink the sound files at the end of the rainbow?

Many many thanks for any help. Oh yes, I'm on FCP 7.

Joseph

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP synchronization of footage shot on Arri Alexa after editing
on Oct 20, 2011 at 2:56:53 pm

If you want to do things right, sync BEFORE you edit. Nothing will magically make it work after you edit.

And yes, it is a lot of work. Editing is work. Shooting double system sound requires more work. This is one big reason that assistant editors exist. To take on the mundane daily tasks associated with editing. And they cost less per hour than editors, so you save money.

Gotta sync before you edit.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 20, 2011 at 10:25:36 pm

Software like Pluraleyes may assist with the syncing process. If the camera and polywav sound files have identical timecode (jam synced time of day) then it is possible to resync the edit to the polwavs later using Sync & Link but there are caveats on how you organise media. Buy the software and test the workflow.

http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/Sync-N-Link/

Shane is right, that syncing before editing is the best way to go even if it does complicate timelines.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 20, 2011 at 10:54:25 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Shane is right, that syncing before editing is the best way to go even if it does complicate timelines."

And, let me make it three...

Syncing audio post-edit is exponentially more complicated and exponentially more prone to catastrophic failure. That should be good enough reason right there to sync now, but there's more...

Something that every audio post pro will tell you is, the money is always all gone at the end of editing, and so is all the time allotted. And so, the last man or woman standing is almost always called upon to compensate for everything that went wrong during production and post. So, do you want to be working for free at the bitter end of the project?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 20, 2011 at 11:00:29 pm

So true David. As a picture & sound post facility, I have often applied to my government for registered charity status and all the attending tax concessions, but alas they think I am a commercial entity.

Return to posts index

Joseph Cahill
on Oct 21, 2011 at 6:52:23 am

Thanks very much all of you. We are synching as I type. Better safe than sorry right? e
J

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]