FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing in FCP 6, Trying to Calibrate Monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Silverman
Editing in FCP 6, Trying to Calibrate Monitor
on Oct 19, 2011 at 11:15:24 pm

I'm editing on a 2.8 Ghz Dual Core iMac in FCP 6 and I have been trying to find a solution for doing basic color correction for videos i create. As far as I know, I cannot use any breakout box to monitor my video for color correction as the iMac does not have Thunderbolt. So i went ahead and purchased Spyder 3 Elite by Datacolor to calibrate my iMac monitor and at least give me a way to calibrate other than through Apple's calibration tool.

The videos I create mostly go on the web or onto DVD (weddings, concerts). One problem I've run into is that the Spyder 3 Elite recommends that I calibrate the monitor down to around 40 Candelas. However, this is way too dark, and all of my videos lately have been coming out too bright because of over brightening everything.

So one of my questions is: What is an ideal target luminance in Candelas that I should tell the Spyder 3 to set my iMac's monitor to?

My other question is: Is there an alternative to this (something similar to the Matrox Mini) that I can purchase, use on my iMac (maybe through firewire 800 or the mini-display port) and monitor on an HDTV.

I realize that none of these options are close to ideal, but I don't have a way of funding a solution that would involve buying a MacPro, breakout box, and broadcast quality monitor.

Any help would be very much appreciated,

-Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]