FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes 422 footage with HDV footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anna conlon
ProRes 422 footage with HDV footage
on Oct 19, 2011 at 5:01:44 pm

I shot weddings with a canon XA H1 (HDV tape). Recently I purchased a new canon 550D camera to expanding creatively. 85% of the day is shot with the canon XA H1 but I've also started to use my new canon 550D for more creative close up etc.

When I first purchased the 550D I didn't realise that the footage wouldn't automatically work in Final Cut Pro and that it must first be converted to ProRes 422 before I attempt to edit. This causes an issue with having two different types of footage on the one time line within FCP. What I think is the best option here is to re capture all my tape into pro res to match the new 550D footage. This will be time consuming but it would probably be less complicated that converting all the tape footage!

The issue or my question relates to the file size. ProRes 422 is MASSIVE one wedding can end up 300GB with the tape and 550D footage combined (once its converted). My final out put will be standard definition so I was wondering is there any point in capturing this footage in HD ProRes 422 if its going to be down sized to SD. Normally with the tapes I would always capture in HD and output/downsize to SD when compressing but in order to save on file size would it compromise the footage if I just captured it in regular SD and then out put in SD? I've read different arguments saying that there is and isn't any difference?

If anyone has any other suggestion on a better work flow process, suggestions are very welcome as I haven't fully decided the best way to work yet

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: ProRes 422 footage with HDV footage
on Oct 19, 2011 at 5:10:21 pm

You can convert just the H264 stuff. HDV works great on a Prores sequence.

[anna conlon] ". ProRes 422 is MASSIVE one wedding can end up 300GB with the tape and 550D footage combined (once its converted)."
1 TB memory costs 100 bucks.
You can put 3 weddings there.
I guess you don't keep the footage forever.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 19, 2011 at 5:46:23 pm

Without knowing which computer you are editing with, I can suggest a few capture i/o devices that may or may not work with your system.

Matrox MXO2 products. If you do any exporting to h.264, I highly suggest the MAX option.

AJA I/O Express or Kona 3

Blackmagic card.

Hook up your XA HI and capture to ProRes in Real Time. Learn the tapeless workflow for the Canon 550D/T2i
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Do not downconvert. Always edit in HD.

As Rafael said, hard drives are very very inexpensive these days. Invest in them.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Oct 20, 2011 at 5:20:52 am

Anna,

I actually have the Canon XH A1. Since 85% of your footage is shot using that, I personally would keep your timeline HDV (to match, and to keep the file sizes down) and set your Render Codec to Apple Pro Res. If you need to transcode your 550D footage to ProRes, do that and bring it into the timeline. (You may then need to render that.) You won't notice a difference in quality between HDV and Pro Res, but there is no need to transcode what you don't have to (the HDV footage). When ready to output, you'll have the option of going SD for DVDs or keeping it HD for web. Better to keep your options open and retain the highest quality possible. Just my opinion.

Chris

Return to posts index

anna conlon
on Oct 24, 2011 at 4:12:27 pm

Thanks Steve for posting that tutorial there was a fair bit in there that I wasn't aware of!

Hi Rafael I know space is relatively cheep at the moment but I was just wondering if there was any point in dealing with these ridiculous large files if I'm going to be out putting is SD at the end. Also I will be working with approx. 40 weddings a year and if each is 300 GB it's a fair few HD to have knocking around as I keep the raw footage for approx. 6 months.

Ok so everyone agrees not to downsize to SD. Going forward I think my best workflow would be as Chris suggested.

Firstly convert my canon 550d footage to ProRes so it's workable in FCP (unfortunately I can't use prores LT as FCP 6 doesn't have this available)

Leave my HDV footage HDV and drag the convert ProRes footage onto my HDV time line and render it to match the HDV.

Have I got all that correct? I'm running a test at the minute to see how long it will take to render on the time line.

Return to posts index

anna conlon
on Oct 24, 2011 at 4:21:18 pm

Sorry just realised I never mentioned what system I'm working off. I'm using FCP 6 on a MacBook Pro OS X 10.5.8

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]