FORUMS: list search recent posts

Separate scratch and media Drives?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Wilson
Separate scratch and media Drives?
on Oct 19, 2011 at 8:19:38 am

Hi,

I've got a question regarding the separation of scratch and media drives. I currently have two external media enclosures. One is a 2TB RAID 10 (4 x 1TB HD's) which is my scratch drive, and it also acts as my main read drive for captured material. I then have another enclosure with two 1TB RAID 0's (4 x 500GB HD's) which are basically overflows for captured material when I need them. Both enclosures are eSata.

The question is, should I separate the scratch drive from the capture drive or just keep using the one main RAID 10 for both. I was wondering if separating them might help with speed whilst editing because it's not trying to read from, and render to, the same drive at the same time, but for all I know it might make it worse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Separate scratch and media Drives?
on Oct 19, 2011 at 12:17:33 pm

So there is no confusion on your part, your capture drive and scratch disc are the same thing.

What you need to do is separate your system drive which includes your OS and Applications from your captured media.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Daniel Wilson
on Oct 19, 2011 at 8:35:02 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but I don't think I explained the question very well. My system drive is already separate and I definitely don't put any media on that, but I'm talking about having two separate media drives. The first would be the scratch drive, which fcp writes to as it renders during editing. The second would be where I store all of my existing ingested media, ProRes etc, which fcp is only reading. I probably misused the word 'capture'.

Thanks,
Dan

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Oct 21, 2011 at 6:23:24 pm

Daniel, the method you are describing (separate media and render drives) is the way I was taught to set things up "back in the day." The thinking was exactly what you describe: avoid read/write operations to the same drive during render. But back in those days, disc i/o performance margins were much slimmer, so you needed all the performance you could find.

So these days it is maybe less critical? But it certainly couldn't hurt. The only downsides I see are that it means your files aren't all "in one place" should you need to move your system. Also, if you aren't doing a heck of a lot of rendering, then your "render" drive might have loads of free space on it, which wouldn't be the most efficient use of your resources.

hth,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Daniel Wilson
on Oct 22, 2011 at 2:11:20 am

Thanks for that advice Matt, it's pretty much what I was hoping to hear.

Cheers,
Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]