FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Manager not working the way I expected - any ideas?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Media Manager not working the way I expected - any ideas?
on Oct 19, 2011 at 5:32:28 am

I've just cut a 60" dissolve-heavy 1080 promo in FCP7 using ProRes. I needed to pass it to one of our Smokes for further work including grading, and I really wanted to send the individual clips plus an EDL so that the dissolves would still be tweakable if necessary. It's a tapeless project with 321 GB of media, so I can't simply provide an EDL and a pile of tapes to be conformed.

Our Smokes don't support ProRes so I figured I'd be able to use the "recompress" option in Media Manager to export just the clips used in the sequence as uncompressed, but when I tried this (right-click on the sequence in the Browser and choose Media Manager), MM basically insisted on wanting to export all the media in the project - all 321 GB of it, which equated to 1.3 TB uncompressed.

If I export just the sequence as an uncompressed QT, it's 8 GB. Using MM to include some handles, I expected it to deliver perhaps 9 GB's worth of clips. Does anyone have any idea why it wants to export all the media in the project rather than just the media used in the sequence?

I've played with all the checkboxes in Media Manager and can't find anything that provides the result I want. I've used it successfully before, and from past experience on tape-based projects I know that MM won't work properly if the source clips don't have reel names, so I made sure they're all named.

I don't know if it's significant or not, but I've used extensive subclipping of the source clips, and each of the subclips has a tick in the Browser indicating that it's a master clip. Is that right? I was under the impression that only the parent clip of a subclip was considered a master clip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]