FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best sequence settings to integrate Canon 7d 24p footage and Sony V1U 24p (which has a pulldown)?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tira Khan
Best sequence settings to integrate Canon 7d 24p footage and Sony V1U 24p (which has a pulldown)?
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:53:53 am

I am looking to integrate footage shot on 2 different cameras. Although they were both shot in 24P, the Sony V1U has a pulldown, and I've read that I should put it into an HDV 1080i 60 sequence -- which I just noticed is 29.97 fps. (Or should I use Pro Res with the same settings?)

My question: Is this the best sequence to also add the DSLR footage? (I know I have to import the footage through Pro Res as well.)

There seems to be so much written about the various sequence settings, but I wanted to know if anyone has tried to integrate these two types of clips with succcess?

Return to posts index

Tira Khan
Re: Best sequence settings to integrate Canon 7d 24p footage and Sony V1U 24p (which has a pulldown)?
on Oct 19, 2011 at 6:38:34 pm

I actually found a good answer on another cow thread. Using the 7D footage is time consuming, but it appears to work in a 60i timeline.

This is what I did:

1. Transfer original footage to computer. (You probably don't need this step, but I like to keep my files separate.)

2. Use Compressor to transcode footage with Apple Pro Res 422.

3. Bring it into a 24p sequence, edit, or just export the entire timeline as a quicktime video using HDV 60i.

4. Import into Final Cut project again.

Don't know if there is an easier way, but at least it seems to work!

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/99/858805

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Best sequence settings to integrate Canon 7d 24p footage and Sony V1U 24p (which has a pulldown)?
on Oct 19, 2011 at 7:08:05 pm

Sure, putting 60i material into a 24p timeline will work to some degree, but whether you see artifacts or not, they will exist. And, the big question is, will your finished project pass QC by a broadcaster?

If it was as easy as what you did Tira someone would have suggested that approach right off the bat.

There's no "simple" solution that will work perfectly for you. Shooting with those two ridiculously mismatched cameras is simply going to mean lots of trials and testing until you find the solution that works best for you. I'd suggest that you do some searching about on this forum to find out what solutions others have found works best for them and try them out for yourself.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Tira Khan
on Oct 25, 2011 at 2:00:36 am

Interestingly, I'm having more trouble with the Sony V1U 24A footage, than the Canon. I thought the 24A was supposed to work in 60i, so who would have thought that was the issue? The video is artifacting -- looks like noise with constant movement in the background. Bummer. If you know of other useful threads, please let me know, otherwise I will continue to search.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]