FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing in FCP: compatibility with cameras?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mac Caudill
Capturing in FCP: compatibility with cameras?
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:45:19 am

I've been using FCP 6 and my Canon GL1 to capture SD footage the past 10 yrs and the GL1 finally died. I'm looking at buying a used miniDV camera for capturing some remaining miniDV footage, but wondered if all cameras are compatible with FCP.

Specifically I'm looking at the Canon ZR series. They all have FW outputs...does that guarantee FCP will recognize the camera and be able to capture the footage?

I've kinda taken this process for granted the past few years ;) Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Capturing in FCP: compatibility with cameras?
on Oct 19, 2011 at 4:08:21 am

If you want cheap, get a used DSR-11 or it's successor (I forget the model) that plays HDV as well. You might get the former for $500 give or take and the latter for a $2k. And these are designed for capture, playback, shuttling unlike your camera which was only designed for the occasional capture or playback.

Return to posts index

Mac Caudill
Re: Capturing in FCP: compatibility with cameras?
on Oct 19, 2011 at 7:46:04 pm

Thanks for the tip, however the need for capturing miniDV is so infrequent and sporadic I can't justify $500+ on a deck. At the same time, I want to make sure the camera is compatible with FCP (control of the camera by FCP isn't necessary, only the ability to capture). Canon won't comment since it's a discontinued line of products.

Just wondered if anyone had experience capturing footage in FCP with a consumer-grade camcorder like this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]