FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro Res 4444 QuickTime files over 1.4 GB won't open on a PC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Camhi
Pro Res 4444 QuickTime files over 1.4 GB won't open on a PC
on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:26:26 pm

Has anyone seen this? We're trying to get our movie onto a PC for Avid DS, but strangely, the PC will only open Pro Res 4444 movie files that are under 1.4 GB. Anything over that gets this curiously worded message:

"Error -2002: A bad public movie atom was found in the movie."

I found very little of relevance in searching online. I tried one suggestion a few people mentioned: exporting the film from FCP without choosing "Current settings," but instead re-selecting Pro Res 4444. Didn't work. Just to rule out FCP entirely as the culprit, we tested our raw master PR4444 footage straight from an Alexa, and it had the same problem.

Any suggestions? (Apart from trying another codec.)

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Pro Res 4444 QuickTime files over 1.4 GB won't open on a PC
on Oct 19, 2011 at 12:23:29 am

What disk format are you using to transfer the file? Is the disk HFS+ or NTFS. If it is Mac formatted, what software are you using on the PC? I presume you aren't using FAT32 or any files larger than 4 gig would be spanned.

Have a look at the file names to make sure they aren't spanning ie: files with the same name an _1, _2 etc meaning the large files are split into lots of smaller ones.

Return to posts index

Glenn Camhi
on Oct 19, 2011 at 12:47:35 am

Hi Michael. Thanks. The drive we brought to the finishing place is HFS+. The computer they transferred it to is running Windows 7 so I assume their drive is NTFS. It didn't get split up.

Yeah, when I saw that a 1.2 GB test movie worked but that our 58 GB movie failed, first thing I assumed was that we were dealing with FAT32 and expected a 4 gig cutoff. Alas, nope.

Why there'd be a ~1.4GB cutoff is beyond me. They've had no problems with any QuickTime files in various other codecs. But again, we want to try to solve this without transcoding to another codec.

The software on the PC is the latest updated version of QuickTime for Windows, and Avid DS. (Though I don't even know if they got as far as Avid, it may just have been QuickTime.)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:34:59 am

So it is codec specific. I wonder if that is some weird licensing issue. I would try to play the file in quicktime to make sure it isn't an AVID issue. Might be worth contacting AVID or posting/searching this on AVID forums.

Is quicktime up to date on the PC? Have you tried to transfer larger files off the external drive onto the PC and run from there?

Return to posts index

Glenn Camhi
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:48:16 am

Yep, QuickTime is up to date on the PC, they double-checked. No Pro Res 4444 movie file over ~1.4GB would open in QuickTime on their system -- we tried over a dozen different file sizes from under 1 GB up to 58GB.

Thanks, I'll post on an AVID forum as well. So far I've found nothing there or on Apple's forums that proved useful.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:43:00 am

Might sound silly, but does that file work on a Mac?

Return to posts index

Glenn Camhi
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:50:03 am

Not silly at all, Jeremy! We thought the same thing, and tested it on their Mac. Worked just fine.

At this point, no thought or suggestion shy of voodoo is silly.

Return to posts index

Glenn Camhi
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:55:19 am

...And again, it wasn't just the one file. It was every single QT Pro Res 4444 file we tried that was >1.4GB. And it didn't matter whether the files had been exported from FCP or were ARRI Alexa camera originals that had never even seen a computer. Same results for both. All the files have played fine on Macs.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:07:52 am

Seems like it's some sort of file system issue.

You said you sent them an HFS+ drive?

Do they have MacDrive?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:11:40 am

Surely this problem must have come up before with anyone using the Alexa and editing on a PC if it is a limitation that Apple has put on this codec or quicktime for PC. If anyone can test this on another PC with Win 7 and quicktime I would be very interested, particularly as Resolve for Windows in coming out soon.

I suspect this issue is specific to this PC.

Return to posts index

Glenn Camhi
on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:27:40 am

Jeremy: Right, I gave them an HFS+ drive. I don't know if they have MacDrive, I'll ask.

Michael: Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. We may have to go to a different finishing house. This place hasn't dealt with Alexa/PR4444 footage yet. They've never had a problem with anything else, though. They are considerably more affordable than the big post houses around, which makes this a particular bummer.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 20, 2011 at 1:21:28 am

[Glenn Camhi] "This place hasn't dealt with Alexa/PR4444 footage yet. They've never had a problem with anything else, though. They are considerably more affordable than the big post houses around, which makes this a particular bummer."

If you are passing this off to someone else, what are they finishing on?

I have never run accross this issue with Alexa materials, not on an uptodate finishing system.

Make sure your finisher under stands the file size issue. I checked a 10G Pr444 file direct from an Alexa sxs card in the MC 5.5.1 on windows without issue.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Glenn Camhi
on Oct 20, 2011 at 1:42:34 am

They're finishing on the DS. Hm, not positive what you mean by "Make sure your finisher under stands the file size issue"... do you mean the issue I've been describing? If so, yeah, that's where the issue is happening, at their facility. They're at least as baffled as I am.

Thank you Gary for checking your file. It's got to be something odd going on with their system. I'll post here if it gets solved.

Return to posts index

Daniel Tegnelia
on Oct 29, 2011 at 1:11:30 am

I don't think it is strictly a PC problem, we are getting the same issues on Macs. At first we believed it to just be a Lion issue but now its happening on Leopard also. Another consistency we've been able to find other than the fact that all the files are greater than 1.4 gb is that this is only happening to footage shot on the ALEXA sup version 3.0. Any footage after the firmware was updated is still working fine. Is that the same for everyone else?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 29, 2011 at 2:21:37 pm

I have checked file recorded on 3 different cameras running v3 and not seen this issue. Most cameras are on v4 by now.

I am only working from camera masters, how are you handling data?

Are you working from copies, clones or Dmg files?

What tools were used to move the data if not on the original SxS media?

I have not seen machine specs or versions.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Daniel Tegnelia
on Oct 31, 2011 at 3:26:55 pm

Yeah our camera is now on v4, and we haven't seen the issue with any of those files yet. We're seeing the issue from the camera masters all the way through 2nd generation clones. The files were transferred from the SxS via laptop on set, moved to 4TB G-Raids and 500GB Lacie Ruggeds, typically through firewire 800 on the ruggeds and esata on the G-Raids. Specs are below, thanks Gary. Glenn if it is possible could you list the specs of your systems with the issue and maybe there will be some sort of correlation between ours and yours. Thanks.

Tower:
Mac Pro 5.1
6-Core intel xenon
2.93 GHz
2 processor 12 core
32 GB ram

Graphics:
ATI Radeon HD 5770
1024 MB VRAM

Software:
Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Leopard)
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3
Quicktime Pro 7.6.6

Media Storage:
SanMP
Client 3.1.6.376
connected to fibre wires to 4 systems (3 which utilize it regularly)
3 Servers servers with 14TB of space
1 Server with 2TB

Return to posts index

Daniel Tegnelia
on Oct 29, 2011 at 1:12:24 am

I don't think it is strictly a PC problem, we are getting the same issues on Macs. At first we believed it to just be a Lion issue but now its happening on Leopard also. Another consistency we've been able to find other than the fact that all the files are greater than 1.4 gb is that this is only happening to footage shot on the ALEXA sup version 3.0. Any footage after the firmware was updated is still working fine. Is that the same for everyone else?

Return to posts index

Glenn Camhi
on Oct 29, 2011 at 8:45:39 pm

Interesting. We only had the problem on a single PC. They never figured it out, but we've since tested it on another PC running Windows 7, and all the files played just fine. So there must be some odd conflict on some computers. We're going to a different finishing house, we'll see what happens there.

Return to posts index

Scott Robert
on Nov 4, 2011 at 6:23:08 am

I'm having the same issue on a mac here. It opens fine on my old Titanium G4 Laptop, but not my Mac Pro 3.0 v_10.6.8. It's very odd. I wonder if there some metadata information you can change on the quicktime file's container to make it work.

Return to posts index

Glenn Camhi
on Nov 4, 2011 at 6:36:37 am

Interesting.

FWIW, we went to another post house with Macs and PCs, and they had no problem opening the file.

I wonder what the conflict could be that's just on some systems.

Return to posts index

Jesse Lee Cairnie
on Nov 17, 2011 at 3:51:58 am

I am having this problem as well.. "An invalid public movie atom was found in the movie." on any ProRes4444 Alexa footage on Mac.. I am trying to rebuild the atom structure.. but am having no luck.. I seem to have read that a security update has cause this error in QT.. but can not seem to find a fix.. some have said they erased and copied the directory of HD/system/library/quicktime and HD/system/library/components but have yet to confirm that as a fix.. and dont have access to an un-updated system..

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 17, 2011 at 4:21:43 am

[Jesse Lee Cairnie] "I am having this problem as well.. "An invalid public movie atom was found in the movie." on any ProRes4444 Alexa footage on Mac.. I am trying to rebuild the atom structure.. but am having no luck.."

Hmm, I just remembered this: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/critical_problems_with_quicktime...

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]