FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 Multiclip problem - downconvert HD to HDV dimensions?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Esmonde
FCP7 Multiclip problem - downconvert HD to HDV dimensions?
on Oct 18, 2011 at 7:10:12 pm

I've run into a problem creating a concert multiclip in FCP7.

I've converted footage from a Canon XHA1 (HDV 1440x1080) and a Canon 5D (1920x1080) to ProRes 422 for FCP7 editing. I used the FCP 'Easy Setup' for the HDV and the Canon E1 Movie Plugin for the 5D material. The timeline is matched to the HDV format. Everything is 25 FPS.

Most of my material is HDV - a music show shot on 4 cameras. A small amount of extra material was shot on the Canon 5D which I'd like to include as Cam 5 in the multiclip. But I discovered too late that I can't make a multiclip in FCP7 unless all the video has the same dimensions. So I'd like to have my Canon 5D captured material match the HDV video. I don't want to have to recapture all the HDV material again if I can avoid it.

Can I convert (I have Compressor 3 and 4) my already captured Canon 5D ProRes (1920x1080) material to ProRes 1440x1080 to match the rest of the timeline, or do I have to recapture the Canon H264 footage again into ProRes with the HDV 1440x1080 dimensions? Is there a better approach?

I'm presuming I'll lose some quality on the downconversion, but it should help better match the 5D to the XHA1 HDV footage.

I have very limited experience with FCP7 and Compressor, so any advice or 'baby steps' would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP7 Multiclip problem - downconvert HD to HDV dimensions?
on Oct 18, 2011 at 7:15:49 pm

[Robert Esmonde] "I discovered too late that I can't make a multiclip in FCP7 unless all the video has the same dimensions. "

And the same CODEC...and frame rate. Everything must match exactly.

[Robert Esmonde] "Can I convert (I have Compressor 3 and 4) my already captured Canon 5D ProRes (1920x1080) material to ProRes 1440x1080 to match the rest of the timeline"

Yes. There are presets for that. Horrid thing to do to your Canon footage, but if you need it to match the HDV...that's what you do. Best to have everything as ProREs, but that's too much work.

[Robert Esmonde] "any advice or 'baby steps' would be appreciated."

Drop the footage into Compressor. Find the HDV presets...drop them onto the footage. Click SUBMIT.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robert Esmonde
on Oct 18, 2011 at 7:27:21 pm

Thanks Shane.

Everything, Canon 5D and Canon XHA1, is already in 25FPS ProRes in FCP.

Can I just feed my captured 5D ProRes footage into Compressor and modify the dimensions to HDV to make multiclip-compatible ProRes files?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 18, 2011 at 9:38:58 pm

Oh...so the HDV was captured as ProRes via firewire, so it is 1440x1080...and the 5D is full raster 1920x1080 ProRes. I see.

Take the footage into Compressor. Choose PRO RES...but make the dimensions custom...1440x1080. And yeah, you will have to make them non-square pixels. What EXACT settings? Got me...you'll have to experiment, just as I would have to . But I have my work to do, so...it's up to you.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]