FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 and FCPX on same machine

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Kenyon
Final Cut Pro 7 and FCPX on same machine
on Oct 18, 2011 at 5:34:53 pm

Hi

I've got an iMac version 10.6.8 with FCPX already installed. I've just got myself Final Cut Studio also as i've never had it before (I generally used Premiere which is also installed on my Mac).

I've just spent the last day installing Final Cut Studio and went to launch FCP and it's not there. Motion, Colour, DVD Studio, Soundtrack Pro are there, as well as my previously bought version of Compressor, but no Final Cut 7. At the start of installation when given the option of what to install it wasn't possible to select Final Cut 7, I just presumed that this was because it was the one element that everyone would install, otherwise there's no point in buying it. I'm guessing this is the obvious reason why FCP7 isn't installed but doers anyone have any answers to help me out?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 and FCPX on same machine
on Oct 18, 2011 at 6:09:42 pm

Just make a folder in your applications folder called FCPX and drop the FCPX app in there. Ridiculous as it may seem, this cures the problem (which is essentially that both apps are called FCP). I would imagine you'd need to reinstall FCS after doing this (just the apps mind, which doesn't take long).

Apple suggest partitioning the system drive and installing FCPX on a separate bootable partition, but I've yet to find any clear examples of this being a problem.

Hope that helps.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Daniel Kenyon
on Oct 18, 2011 at 9:27:30 pm

Brilliant stuff, cheers fella!

Now it's still saying that I need 52.3GB of space, but it's allowing me to install FCP7. The other apps say 'upgrade' next to them. Will it redo all of them and take another 50GB up or will it just install FCP?

Sorry for sounding like an idiot

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:00:57 pm

I would opt for the partitioning or dual boot disks and have each with the appropriate OS.We have already had lots of posts here about FCP 7 installs having issues with OS 10.6.8. and there were a batch of complaints about Motion 5 stuffing up Motion 4. As Lion develops it is likely that other problems will happen with FCP7 and Apple won't be fixing FCP7.

David Roth Weiss did an excellent tutorial on how to partition and install both so that a stable safe version of FCP7 can exist and a FCP X partition can be updated without consequence to the original FCP7 setup which will continue to work if kept away from OS updates that one day will break it.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:10:22 pm

[Michael Gissing] "David Roth Weiss did an excellent tutorial on how to partition and install both so that a stable safe version of FCP7 can exist and a FCP X partition can be updated without consequence to the original FCP7 setup which will continue to work if kept away from OS updates that one day will break it.
"

And, amazingly enough, here it is...

http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Oct 20, 2011 at 12:19:58 pm

David,

Maybe I missed something in your tutorial.

How do you install FCP X on a new partition (boot disk) if you've already purchased it? Can you simply enter in your Apple ID into the App store app and it will realize you need to re-download it? It Doesn't seem like that would work. The App store must have a method to ensure you can't download multiple copies.

Or is this an approach you need to plan for, prior to purchasing FCP X?

I realize I could simply do this with FCS, but I was considering moving FCP X.

Return to posts index

Daniel Kenyon
on Oct 20, 2011 at 4:33:41 pm

Thanks a lot for this and the link to the tutorial. When I find a spare few minutes i'll go through it and try to solve this!

Would you recommend that I remove all the apps i've already installed from FCP7 and then just re-install the whole lot once i've partitioned? I'm not running Lion at the moment so is this going to be an issue?

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on May 16, 2012 at 10:33:25 pm

I am running 10.7.4 and FCPX 10.0.4. I installed FCP7 on the same disk earlier today, everything then felt sluggish although that is probably because of reading about potential issues (although no one seems to know what issues can arise). That being said I uninstalled all final cut pro versions and reinstalled FCPX to my 750GB boot drive. I am going to partition and then install FCP7.

My question is whether I need to wipe the drive, create two partitions, then install from my current time machine backup to one partition and install a clean version of lion to the other.

OR

can I just create a partition in disk utilities (easier) and then install lion to that partition (how would I go about doing that? On startup?)

Thanks

macbook pro 17" i7, 8GB RAM
2 RAID 0 esata external HD 7200RPM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]