FORUMS: list search recent posts

Installing FCP 6 (FCS2) on Lion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Lucas
Installing FCP 6 (FCS2) on Lion
on Oct 18, 2011 at 4:04:07 pm

I have pre-installed Rosetta from my SL disk and tried to install FCP 6 & DVD Studio pro from the FCS 2 install disks. All seemed to of installed but then when I saw the FCP icon in the Applications folder there was the translucent warning icon over the top of it and when I tried to double click to open a warning box appeared saying its not compatible? There was a warning pop up after the first installation disk came out saying that a certain packet wasn't installed properly but I didn't catch the name.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
Re: Installing FCP 6 (FCS2) on Lion
on Oct 18, 2011 at 4:30:53 pm

Rosetta is not support in Lion, nor are any PowerPC apps AFAIK.

See thread below - it's stated that FCP6 will install under SL, then you can upgrade to Lion - but again I guess this would require the Intel version (was FCP6 universal? I don't recall).

Note as well that any hardware released SINCE Lion (so far only MBA's and Minis) will NOT run SL - as these hardware profiles are not in the SL code.

Hope that helps.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Oct 18, 2011 at 6:48:46 pm

So you're saying when the new thunderbolt-equipped Mac Pro finally comes out (rumored to be soon), it will only run FCP X? No way to get FCS 3 or 2 or DVD SP on there?? No way at all, no work around? Please don't burst my bubble, I've been waiting eagerly all year... :(

chris

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:14:35 pm

No - that's not what I'm saying - FCS3, which includes DVDSP runs on Lion, so will work with new Mac Pros. The original question was about FCS2 (FCP6) which apparently needs PPC support to run, which can be kludged from SL. What it means for you is that you will HAVE to run FCS3 on Lion. Whenever Apple release a new piece of hardware, it is not supported in previous OS versions (what are they going to do? Update all the old versions?)

Whilst I have not upgraded any of our pro edit systems to Lion for FCP7, I have been running it on my own laptop (trusty test machine) for a while, and have not heard of, or seen any problems with this.

As far as I am concerned, Apple have stated that FCP7 is Lion-compatible, which means they will have to fix anything broken in FCS3 by OS updates with ProKit updates. Other people here disagree with me. We all agree that sticking with SL is a better bet, if you have a choice.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Maurice Boudreault
on Oct 11, 2012 at 10:47:23 pm

Hi,
I have found someone who installed successfully FCP 6 on Lion using Rosetta. Here are the information about that:

"Yes i have installed final cut 6.0.1 on lion on a new macbook pro. Lion did not want to play, so i bought a snow leopard disc and installed Rosseta ( found in the extras folder I think). This installed no problem on lion, and in turn rosseta enabled Lion to instal final cut 6. Works like a dream. So far no crashes and renders etc are all good." Reference: http://roaringapps.com/forum-discussion:30

Good luck,

Maurice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]