FORUMS: list search recent posts

Migrating from Final Cut Pro 6 to which new version?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Orman
Migrating from Final Cut Pro 6 to which new version?
on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:27:53 pm

Hi,
I just bought a new computer that runs the operating system Mac OS X , and I was told my old Final Cut Pro 6 software wouldn't run on it. The Apple guys said I could either purchase the latest Final Cut Pro, which I understand is buggy and strange, or look for Final Cut Pro 7, which they said they didn't have. Either way it sounded like a $1000ish investment, which I didn't anticipate. They also said there was some $300 scaled down version of Final Cut I could download online thru Apple's Apps store. Anyway I'm looking to continue working on a project as soon as possible, so I just wondered if anyone has any quick advice on which of these options are best:
a) the latest Final Cut version,
b) finding some place that has Final Cut 7 (any tips if that's your recommendation?), or
c) the scaled down $300 version you can download online? I'm assuming this last option is inadequate, but not spending $1000 sounds great.
Anyway any feedback is much appreciated, especially if it includes where in New York to make this purchase!
Thank you very much,
Neil

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Migrating from Final Cut Pro 6 to which new version?
on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:47:24 pm

If you don't want to give it a go with FCPX...which is buggy and strange, but does have a bit of a following...
Take a look at Adobe Premiere Pro in the Adobe CS5.5 Production Bundle. Pretty much offers the same thing that FCP used to offer.

FCP as you knew it is dead.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Oct 18, 2011 at 1:14:03 pm

Hi Neil

AFAIK there is no option c) - this sounds like buying a copy of Final Cut Express from somewhere, and as this was discontinued along with Final Cut Studio.

You have a couple of good options though:

1) Try the new FCPX. It's strange no doubt, but on a new Mac screaming fast - there's a free 30 day demo anyway so nothing to lose anyway. If you need a video output (such as Kona or BM card) you currently cannot use it. Also, make sure your new system has plenty of RAM and decent GFX (example - it's very quick on a top spec iMac with 16gb RAM).

2) Buy Adobe Creative Suite for half price. Yup - it's still going to be around $1000, but then if you make a living with it, that's easily absorbed. As an owner of any version of FCP you get this 'bargain' (actually brings it down to real-world prices for many) which includes the brilliant Photoshop and After Effects packages as well.

If you go for 2) you will be editing with Premier Pro. PPro looks and feels almost exactly like FCP - it can even map FCP shortcuts automatically, so your existing keys work with it. In terms of features, it's so similar (with some AE gui stuff thrown in) that you will be back up to speed in a few days. Works with existing Kona/BM/Matrox video cards as well.

Personally - I find PPro ok, although there's little new stuff in there, and compared to FCPX it feels a little dated, but whatever - it's a sensible choice for Pro work right now (FCPX won't be there for another 12 months).

Hope that helps.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Oct 18, 2011 at 6:57:42 pm

Thanks to all who have replied to this post. Much appreciated. I guess my biggest question relates to Shane's response, about not being able to work on any previous FCP projects in the new Final Cut X. Is that right?? I was just at the Apple Store, asking about that very point, and he said he thought that issue had been fixed by the recent update. Is that true? If not, I'm thinking my only real option, since I had a number of unfinished FCP 6 projects in progress, is scrounging around for a copy of FCP 7.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding anything that was said. And again, my big concern is I have projects I was working on in FCP 6 before it stopped working, and I need to be able to continue working on them in whatever program I get. So it would be great to just be able to download FCP X if that issue was truly fixed by the recent update.

Neil

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 18, 2011 at 7:06:20 pm

I will let others reply to this too...but the recent .0.1 update did not address this. THey came out with a NEW version of XML...but not one that interfaces with FCP 7. It works with RESOLVE and CatDV, and people have toyed with getting FCP Sequences (not projects...sequences) from FCP 7 to FCX via those apps, and have had some minor success. But that means you then need to buy those apps, and only bring over your sequences, not full projects.

You can try to get FCP 6 working by installing Rosetta onto this new machine with the SL installers...then install FCP 6. See if that works before you go looking.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Oct 18, 2011 at 7:25:35 pm

Thanks a lot, Shane. So to take your advice here, I guess I should buy Snow Leopard from the Apple store for $30 or whatever and then try installing just Rosetta from those installer disks. And then I may be able to install Final Cut 6 on my new machine? Just let me know if I misunderstood anything, and thanks again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 18, 2011 at 7:46:10 pm

Does Apple still sell SL?

Shane

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Oct 19, 2011 at 8:12:17 am

Yes they're still selling copies of Snow Leopard for like $30. Thanks again Shane.
Neil

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 18, 2011 at 2:41:47 pm

Option 1: FCP X. $300 from the Apple store. Issues. You will not be able to open any previous FCP projects with FCP X. There is no way to move forward. People have been able to get SEQUENCES, but only by going through RESOLVE and CATDV. This version is the version that Apple will be moving forward with. The editing methodology is VERY different from the current way, and many features are missing (features that FCP 7 has, FCPX does not...broadcast monitoring, OMF export, CURRENT XML I/O...more).

Option 2: FCP 7. You might have luck finding this on eBay or at a retailer...MAYBE at a retailer. But this version has been discontinued...end of lifed. It is a dead product. Yeah, it will work, but any future updates are non-existent. It will work with any current camera technology, and work for years (I know people still using FCP 4.5), but any future advances in camera/codec technology will not be addressed with FCP 7. Only FCPX

Option 3: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5. This is an app that will continue on, and get better. And it will import full project XMLs from FCP...meaning it will bring in the bins, sequences and media, and you can just continue to work. Plus it hosts a suite of apps, like Final Cut Studio did. Premiere...After Effects, Encore, Audition. Plus it supports all the current hardware cards, AJA, BlackMagic, Matrox. And if you act now, you can get it cheap, as an FCP user you get a discount. The same price as FCP 7 (if you can find it), only it has a future, where FCP 7 does not. ANd it will bring over current project files, where FCP X will not.

Shane

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Oct 20, 2011 at 1:54:35 pm

If you go with Premeire Pro ...

You might want to look into getting an NVIDIA CUDA card. This provides GPU hardware acceleration for Premiere Pro. ATI based cards don't.

I use the Quadro 4000. I use it in slave mode, no monitors, just used by PP. I also have an ATI 5770 for my displays and FCP X.

If you get one of these, make sure you get the one for the Mac. Different FW than the non-Mac one. Also, make sure you download and install the CUDA drivers from NVIDIA. Apple provides drivers for the card and it will work fine. But, if you don't also install the CUDA drivers the GPU acceleration option in PP will be grayed out.

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Oct 20, 2011 at 4:10:24 pm

Thanks Kevin, I'll consider that. I'm so frustrated by what Apple's done with this non-backwards-compatible thing that I'm almost considering switching, but at this point I'm trying desperately to find a reasonably priced copy of Final Cut Pro 7 that will allow me to easily finish my current FCP 6-created projects. And I just had one last question about that. If anyone's ever bought or received software this way before, meaning not from the manufacturer, what are the most important things to receive in the transaction? I'm assuming you need at least the product CDs and the serial number? Is that right and is there anything else that's important?
Much appreciated,
Neil

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Oct 18, 2011 at 4:02:45 pm

Neil,

First of all, the Apple guys who supplied you with this "information" (if you want to call it that) are idiots. Secondly, I don't understand people on a fcp forum advising you to go with Adobe. I too am a FCS 2 user (vs 6.0.6) planning to upgrade my hardware if and when the new Mac Pro comes out. From what I've gathered, FCP 6 will work fine with Lion but will only install with Snow Leopard (or before). So do a little research on that and you should find your answers. Seems you'll need to downgrade to Snow Leopard, then install FCS 2 from the disks in your possession, then bada boom - you're ready to go. Users have reported FCS 2 working just fine in Lion (having upgraded from SL) - it's just a matter of getting it there.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will soon humble me. If not, good luck and happy editing!

Chris

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Oct 18, 2011 at 4:27:04 pm

Chris - you may be right to say that FCP6 works under SL, and it may well even run under Lion (doesn't sound like a good idea to me though as it won't be supported) but new models of Macs released since Lion (i.e. Macbook Airs and Minis, and any future model of MBP or Mac Pro) cannot be downgraded to SL - the hardware is simply not coded into or supported by earlier versions.

If you bought a current iMac or Mac Pro, you're ok - as they were released originally with SL. Anything newer WILL NOT support it.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 18, 2011 at 5:57:04 pm

[Christopher McDonell] "I don't understand people on a fcp forum advising you to go with Adobe"

Because Premiere Pro CS5.5 is the FCP 8 we all wanted. It does what we need, and more. And CS6 is going to be better. I would have recommended Avid MC5.5, but I didn't think it would suit his needs.

I am, above all, an editor. I am not tied to one NLE. I use the one that works. When people ask for advice on what they should get...I'm honest.

And what Ben said...new machines come with Lion installed, and firmware that makes installing Snow Leopard impossible. However, people have installed Rosetta from their SL installers and have gotten mixed results.

Shane

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Oct 18, 2011 at 6:40:31 pm

[Shane Ross] "And what Ben said...new machines come with Lion installed, and firmware that makes installing Snow Leopard impossible. However, people have installed Rosetta from their SL installers and have gotten mixed results.
"

I almost bought a brand new MBP about a month ago that had SL installed on it and was given the option of keeping that or having them upgrade it to Lion. So if they can run both, I don't understand why the consumer couldn't just install the OS of their choice. Is nothing backward compatible anymore?? This just might suck! (Off to do more research...)

Thanks for the heads up, Shane.

Return to posts index

Sal Sainvil
on Dec 7, 2012 at 7:46:00 pm

Hi there,

If FCPX could open files from previous versions as far back as FCP6 without any issues then i would say get that regardless of its strangeness. But, from what I understand it cant (i could be wrong feel free to correct me if I am). So to access a FCP6 file, you have to get your hands on a copy of FCP 7 and open the file with that and then export it as XML which can then be imported into FCPX but only the cut video comes through so you'd have to then re-finalize what you had already finalized in FCP6? is that right folks? thats what i had learned while googling when i came across this same problem earlier this year( my info may most likely be out dated since last i researched this which was in the summer. so take it with a grain of salt).

we have 5 machines running FCP 6.0.6 on Snow leopard. When We added a 6th, we ran into this same compatibility issue. Cant install FCP6 and cant even copy it over. needless tos ay we havent upgraded anything. We have literally thousands of FCP6 files that all we have to do is open reconnect data and export. Why on earth would we want to buy any product that will force us to recreate all these files. makes no sense.

We are transitioning to Adobe Premiere however, not because its better per say or any and all of the reasons given, but simply because we are tired of Apple's constant blocking of previous versions/products to force you to spend thousands of dollars on their "new" products every other year. we dont subscribe to the "buy our New APple product now in Blue! its the New RED!" mentality. It's so aggravating.

We could go either way with this, as in FCPX or PP5.5 but seeing as how neither seems to resolves the problem of being able to open FPC6 files without some freaking time consuming backars workaround, the deciding factor becomes which company is less aggravating and that would be Adobe.

my two cents.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]